Breeding Native Fancy(i guess) Carp

Multiply em all
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Breeding Native Fancy(i guess) Carp

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi all, its been over 6 months that i have been thinking of writing this post bt couldn't untill now.

This was my 3rd attempt at artificial breeding of fishes. Previous two times I tried with Goldfish. Usually enough, fr 1st tym couldn't manage to hatch a single egg. On 2nd attempt, could make one egg hatch, but the fry didn't make it through its initial stage.

On the 3rd attempt, I don't know the hatch count but i could raise three fries. Two of thm are still with me bt sadly enough one fine day, one of them decided to commit sucide nd was successful in his act. :(

Now I will describe in brief abt the most imp aspect of a healthy hatch rate-

Attempt 1- Manually squeezed out the eggs 1st in a 2*1*1 hospital tank nd thn squeezed out the sperm (from male fish :P ) and miced with the tank water well.
What went wrong- too large water volume that is sperm cell count per L water was v less. I thought so. No hatch or anything.

Attempt 2- same sequence, 1st eggs thn sperm bt water v less, abt 2-3L. One or two hatch took place bt fry didnt sirvive. It was a v shallow stainless steel tumblem. May 2" of water height.

Attempt 3- Opposite sequence this time. First took out sperm from two-three fishes, nd mixed in d water v well. Water will become quite cloudy. Then squeezed the eggs from two fishes. While the eggs are coming out, make sure they dont get to settle down directly. Stir the water while taking out the eggs for maximizing the chances of eggs getting fertilized, plus eggs dont pile up at d same place which will destroy d eggs at the bottom. Used a big bucket this time. Water vol was arnd 7-8L.

In a day or two, the water will turn clear. After dat, i took 2ml rid all anti ich(original) nd mixed to 15 ml water and sprayed on the eggs slowly with a syringe. Some eggs might get blue bt nothing to worry.
After a day, perform as large wc as possible with similar water parameters. During this phase, due to accidental water spillage on the eggs when bucket was empty, caused me loose most of the eggs. This wc is imp coz after this wc, i performed wc arnd a month later once the fries were a little grown. During their initial days, after consumption of their yolk sac, i used to feed them crushed Hikari Diacus Bio Gold. :D

Once they grew to the point when their mouth could fit tubifex, i started feeding them tubifex.

Here are some videos on the manual part-

Taking out sperm
http://youtu.be/4OC0dJQsn_g

Taking out eggs
http://youtu.be/SD7TsxvlXbY

When they were little fellas-
1457289232637.jpg

IMG_20160615_002827.JPG

When I introduced them in their patent's tank-
1461092072164.jpg

There is only one thing that will require some practice is squeezing d Fishes... :D
Needs a gentle push... :P

Btw one warning, if ur fishes r hand fed, nd you do this procedure with them, they will take quite some time to overcome the fear of getting near to u. But they definitely might. Depends on d species/fish temperament.

Happy Breeding... :D :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SanamMarik on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Breeding Native Fancy(i guess) Carp

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 pm

Very nice, i dont think this has been attempted by many hobbyist here, though widely practised by breeders.The fertility ratios may have been affected by the water parameters, maturity of the fish-eggs-sperm, dilution during fertilisation.I bet you already have but might like going through some videos online on the same. Kudos to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you!!

yes dada, watched a lot of videos before hand...i just tried to replicate their procedures... :D
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Abhisek » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:29 am

Quality stuff :)

Really happy to see your work :)
Abhisek
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Thank you dada... :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Return to Breeding