Live Food All About

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Live Food All About

Postby Tirtha » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:55 pm

After seeing the breeding and Fri raising craze craze all over the forum, creating this thread as a Live feed culture guide of different kind of live feed.

I will not write anything by my own but will keep on adding Videos and links of others first hand, easy to achieve links.

Daphnia:

Starter culture Required: YES

How to catch Daphnia from Pond:

How to make your Own Daphnia Culture At Home:

I found these 2 links very detailed and Helpful. You will be able to get all the answers of your questions.

http://buylivefishfood.com/culture_live_daphnia.html

http://www.caudata.org/daphnia/

Brine Shrimps(Artemia):

Starter culture Required: YES Need BS Eggs.

This link will give you the understanding of the benefit and the usage of Brine Shrimps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquacultur ... ine_shrimp

Here goes a video to make your own Brine Shrimps culture:

Micro worm:

Starter culture Required: YES

Another easy to keep and raise live feed for your fish fries. take a look at the below links to know, how to make the culture.

http://www.worm-cultures.com/microworminformation.htm

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20Food ... oworms.htm

And here goes one nice video,

I will Add Microfex culture details soon. If anyone is having any first hand experience of Live feed maintenance and raising, share it here.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Live Food All About

Postby dbanerjee206 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 am

I have raised a batch of Zebra Danio fries on BBS for a few months. Will outline what I did from my experience. Hope it will help to some extent. Basically the same stuff shown in the video posted by Tirtha da.

1. I used Sanfransisco Bay brine shrimp cysts.
2. Used a 1 lit plastic bottle. Cut off the bottom of the bottle and used it inverted so the cap of the bottle is pointed to the ground.
3. Filled 70% bottle with water. Added API aquarium salt. Around half a table spoon in the bottle.
4. Added a pinch of the BBS cysts in the bottle. You will get an idea about the amount to use after a couple of rounds.
5. Inserted an airline tubing till the bottom of the bottle so it reaches the tapered end of the bottle cap. Held it in place by using a clip against the wall of the bottle.
6. Used a powerful air pump (labeled for use upto 40 gal) and connected the airline tubing to it.
7. Kept it bubbling continuously. The cysts should be suspended in the water continuously to be hatched.
8. For the first time, after about 36 hours tried harvesting them.
9. Used a flash light(torch) to attract the hatched shrimps to a particular area in the bottle. They will be very tiny specks but a noticable movement can be observed.
10. Used the same airline tubing used for bubbling to siphon the hatched shrimps out.
11. I fed these to the fries directly along with the saline water(this may not be best if you have sensitive fishes since this will tamper with the salinity of the water). You could filter out the brine shrimps only using a brine shrimp net which is a net having finer pores than a normal net.
12. At this point, all the cysts have not hatched out and the ones which havent will mostly sink to the bottom. The cyst(kind of outer covering) of the ones which have hatched will be floating and you can try getting rid of them.
13. I do not throw away the remaining water and keep the unhatched cysts in the bottle.
14. Fill it back with water and add some more salt and some more cysts.
15. After about 12 hours I will again have some more to harvest. These are the ones which were added the first time but did not hatch when I harvested it for the first time. So I can continue to get some harvest every 12 hours or aleast 24 hours. You can use 2 separate hatcheries if you can manage to.
16. After about 5 days I wash the entire bottle and start afresh. This time I again have to wait for 36 hours to make the first harvest.
17. I was able to feed them BBS twice a day most of the times and had Hikari First Bites for back up and additional food.
18. It was a bit annoying at times but raising fries for the first time was the motivation of course.

Let me know if you have specific questions. This is not a culture as such but really brine shrimp hatchery.

Debopriyo
dbanerjee206
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arindam123 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 am

Thank You Tirtha Da :x :ymhug:
@rindam
arindam123
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bmukh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 am

dbanerjee206 wrote:I have raised a batch of Zebra Danio fries on BBS for a few months. Will outline what I did from my experience. Hope it will help to some extent. Basically the same stuff shown in the video posted by Tirtha da.
.... is not a culture as such but really brine shrimp hatchery.

Debopriyo

Excellent to the point write up. Just a few additions to make things a bit simpler;
5. Get Straws from McDonalds'...there straws are slightly bigger in diameter. Now pass the air tube through it so that it can easily reach the bottom. It is important that it reaches the bottom because you don't want the eggs to settle there.
9. Take the bottles out...allow it to settle for 10 minutes. There will be three distinct layer
(a) floating hatched shells at the top
(b) the unhatched eggs settled at the bottom
(c) some hatched ones (orange) are either just under the surface reaching out for light or towards the bottom.
10. Take a syringe (slightly bigger one...50 ml). Put a airtube on its nozzle, pass it through McDonalds' straw. Now you can siphon the hatched ones with great accuracy
bmukh
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:49 am

brine shrimp hatchery..new trend in Kolkata, very helpful information bappa da regarding the collection methodology.

i'd give the daphnia culture 1 more try and try to see if they can breed and multiply.

bappa da, any other source of live feed other than the regular microworms and microflex you sent last time?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby bmukh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:57 am

1. Tubifex..what you get easily (or used to earlier). Wash them a few times, keep them under running water and they can be used. I used to wash them a few times and then put them in deep freeze (that would kill most parasites) and they were reasonably safe to feed
2. Mosquito larvae...simple but at the cost of getting beaten up by family members and neighbours
3. Fruit flies.....ineffecient but ok. Take a plastic tub. Add scotch brite. Pour water so that the scotch brite is not entirely under water. Sprinkle some oatmeal and leave a banana peel inside for a few days...you will get fruit fly larve 3-4 mm, whitish wrigglers)
4. Ant eggs (ask any maach dhorar dokan)
5. Chopped earthworms
6. Grinda worms..you need a starter culture
But I think between Microfex, Brine Shrimps and Microworms most of your purpose will be served
bmukh
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 am

any means to culture brine srimps? I am not talking of hatching them, coz honestly, its a little costly compared to the rest.

also, how to store ant eggs? We have shops that can source them :P I saw mecho feeding it to his cichlids, so are they really gonna be okay for small fishes?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby bmukh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 am

el batty wrote:any means to culture brine srimps? I am not talking of hatching them, coz honestly, its a little costly compared to the rest.

also, how to store ant eggs? We have shops that can source them :P I saw mecho feeding it to his cichlids, so are they really gonna be okay for small fishes?

Culturing Brine Shrimps I think i difficult (that is the impression I got from watching Youtube videos). The shrimps have to grow in size, lay eggs, hatch.... Ant eggs can be tried deep frozen. I used to do that long time back when catching Koi Maach, Chara Pona etc during monsoon :-)
bmukh
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:56 am

Bappa da... Collecting Hatched BS becoming nightmare. The Bs and the Eggs both are settling down at the bottom of the bottle. Its impossible to get only he BS without shells.

I am going through the decapsulated BS write ups. Seems interesting.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby bmukh » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:07 am

Tirtha wrote:Bappa da... Collecting Hatched BS becoming nightmare. The Bs and the Eggs both are settling down at the bottom of the bottle. Its impossible to get only he BS without shells.

I am going through the decapsulated BS write ups. Seems interesting.

(a) Once the eggs are hatched. Place the jar in a dark room. Light a candle next to it. All hatched BS will come up and form a mass around the light. Then siphon.
(b) siphon the entire stuff. Put them in a small transparent jar/cup. Keep it tilted slightly and place it near the candle. The eggs will be at the bottom while the hatced ones will again come towards the light.
Will suggest you a more exotic one if these doesn't work ;)
bmukh
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Food and Equipments