Live Food All About

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Live Food All About

Postby Tirtha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:06 pm

bmukh wrote:Will suggest you a more exotic one if these doesn't work ;)

Now dont tell me to keep a wine bottle front of the jar to attract the BS. :p
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby dbanerjee206 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:15 pm

el batty wrote:any means to culture brine srimps? I am not talking of hatching them, coz honestly, its a little costly compared to the rest.

also, how to store ant eggs? We have shops that can source them :P I saw mecho feeding it to his cichlids, so are they really gonna be okay for small fishes?

Subhadeep, Its not really very expensive. I got a pack of BBS cysts for $5 and from what I have used to raise a batch of 20 fries for 3 months, I think I can use it for atleast 100 more such batches, may be even more. It might be more expensive in Kolkata but the amount you get is really more than you can use. Sharing it may bring the cost down further.

Debopriyo
dbanerjee206
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:17 pm

dbanerjee206 wrote:
el batty wrote:any means to culture brine srimps? I am not talking of hatching them, coz honestly, its a little costly compared to the rest.

also, how to store ant eggs? We have shops that can source them :P I saw mecho feeding it to his cichlids, so are they really gonna be okay for small fishes?

Subhadeep, Its not really very expensive. I got a pack of BBS cysts for $5 and from what I have used to raise a batch of 20 fries for 3 months, I think I can use it for atleast 100 more such batches, may be even more. It might be more expensive in Kolkata but the amount you get is really more than you can use. Sharing it may bring the cost down further.

Debopriyo

+1. Get a 200gm Box of OSI BS and share it among you, Nonte and Rahul. Cost will come down a lot.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby Achintya » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:13 am

:) someday someday.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member

Postby saurav » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:52 am

I have been hatching bbs for some time now for my discus fries and what Tirtha has uploaded and Debopriyo has posted is entirely right. But Debopriyo did you miss out on the fact that a light source is needed on top of the hatchery throughout? And I also add a pinch of baking soda to increase the ph of the water to 8 or near about.
I have done an improvisation on Tirtha's model and this is giving me good hatch rates. The fact that Kolkata's temperature drops menacingly at times during the winter season, an optimum hatch rate is obtained if the temperature of the hatchery can be maintained in between 30 and 32 deg Celsius. So I have just put my entire unit inside a bucket of water with a thermostat and running sponge filter (to circulate the water as well as keep the filter seasoned for future use).
You can clearly see
1. The light source on top.
2. The bucket.
3. The cut out inverted plastic bottle where the hatching is in progress with a bubbling air pipe inserted deep.
4. The sponge filter.
5. The thermostat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saurav
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby dbanerjee206 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 pm

saurav wrote:I have been hatching bbs for some time now for my discus fries and what Tirtha has uploaded and Debopriyo has posted is entirely right. But Debopriyo did you miss out on the fact that a light source is needed on top of the hatchery throughout? And I also add a pinch of baking soda to increase the ph of the water to 8 or near about.
I have done an improvisation on Tirtha's model and this is giving me good hatch rates. The fact that Kolkata's temperature drops menacingly at times during the winter season, an optimum hatch rate is obtained if the temperature of the hatchery can be maintained in between 30 and 32 deg Celsius. So I have just put my entire unit inside a bucket of water with a thermostat and running sponge filter (to circulate the water as well as keep the filter seasoned for future use).
You can clearly see
1. The light source on top.
2. The bucket.
3. The cut out inverted plastic bottle where the hatching is in progress with a bubbling air pipe inserted deep.
4. The sponge filter.
5. The thermostat.

Saurav, I have not used the light source at all and worked al right for me. Using the light may yield better results since you have been doing it for long, of course you know better. However, what is really the purpose of the light source?

Debopriyo
dbanerjee206
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:12 am

trying to culture daphnia...a white mass is settled on a corner of the container...i assume they are dead ones..feeding them partially green water...lets seee. Saw many live ones though.

shall feeding them yeast help?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby saurav » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:04 am

Debopriyo it is nice to hear that you have bypassed the light and still got hatch rates. Well improvisation teaches us a lot of things hitherto unknown. However expert opinion is that illumination is necessary to trigger the hatching mechanism within the embryo during the initial hours of incubation. Also a light source during the entire incubation period is recommended to obtain optimum hatch results and for temperature control.
saurav
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arindamk » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:08 am

Hello - I am a native biotope freak and recently on a West Bengal River biotope, I got a pair or very sensitive fish, need to feed them dhapnia, any of you have some starter for me? I will try to catch them from the pond - but in the dark may be risky...
arindamk
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Previous

Return to Food and Equipments