Food for Angel,Tetra,Platy etc

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Food for Angel,Tetra,Platy etc

Postby Platinum » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:01 am

I majorly feed different types of live food to all my Fish. This is the cheapest and most nutritious food that one can offer to his Fish.

The kind of live food I feed adult fish –

Microworms – Suitable for small fish like tetras, smaller killifish like the nothobranchius genus, small cyprinids like the boraras.
All you need to get your culture going is a small plastic container, a slice of bread and a starter culture (I don’t use any yeast as I have experienced that addition of yeast leads to early deterioration of the culture, and a crashed microworms culture is enough of a reason to get you kicked out of your house).

Microfex/Romifex – Found in Delhi by a good friend of mine – Romi Abhimanyu. This is the one I use the most to feed all sorts of fish from slightly larger fry (1 month and above) to my WC Peruvians. All you need is a medium plastic container, some scotch brite pads and powdered oat meal and offcourse a starter culture.

Grindal worms – I sparingly use them especially to condition fish as it is a serious weight gainer for fish due to its high fat content. All you need is some cocopeat, powdered oat meal or some cat or dog food (works the best) and do I need to mention a starter culture. They need cooler climate as compared to Romifex, so it is my winter food in the harsh Delhi winter.

Adult Brine Shrimps – Its fairly easy to raise BBS (baby brine shrimps) that one hatches to feed tiny fry. Use a small tank or a small tub add an airline to it for some circulation and feed spirulina powder to the BBS and you are ready to go. This would be expensive as compared to other live food just because of the cost of good quality brine shrimp eggs.

Meal Worms (Tenebrio molitor) – Suitable for large fish, I use them to feed my Channa andrao. Again easy to culture. All you need is a large plastic box with tight fitting and some holes drilled on top, a base of oat meal, a few slices of sliced potatoes to provide them some moisture and a starter culture.

Mosquito Larve – This is literally free, all you need to do is place a tub filled with aged aquarium water in your balcony or under a tree in your compound and net those buggers every second day. You should ensure that you rigorously net the larvae out or empty the tub on a periodic basis for the safety of your family and neighbors.

Compost worms (Eisenia fetida) – What you would need
1. A worm bin
2. Some bedding
3. Food Waste
4. Worm Culture

Take a big enough container (preferably the big flat plastic ones that we normally get in any shop selling plastic products such as buckets, containers used to store food etc…). Make small holes beneath for drainage of any excess water. Add some soil used for potting plants, some compost, a few pieces of cardboard (helps to keep the culture moist and is also a good source of food for the wrigglers) and some food waste.
Add your culture to the box and sprinkle some water from the top, ensure that you don’t flood the container as the worms would drown in the water. Add some food waste as and when required (depends on the number of worms that are there in the container). They will start multiplying within no time if provided the right conditions to thrive.
Now this is food produced literally from feeding kitchen waste, what more does one want…:)

Feed a variety of even live foods and not just one particular wriggler as their nutritional value differs. Feed frozen and some good quality pellets or flakes sparingly along with live food to fulfil your Fishes' nutritional needs.
Platinum
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby FishTank » Fri May 15, 2015 12:40 am

thanks for detail reply.

now,what's the best food for cory and loaches ?
do i need any kind of sinking flakes or micro pellets ?
FishTank
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby avik » Fri May 15, 2015 4:41 am

Nice detailed explanation Platinum.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby FishTank » Sat May 16, 2015 10:34 am

FishTank wrote:now,what's the best food for cory and loaches ?

any of the following food good for bottom feeder ?
1.Hikari Sinking Wafers Fish Food
2.Tetra Tabimin
3.Tetra Prima Mini Granules
4.Sera Viformo

but,the is availability at lfs.
FishTank
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby jesica1 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:12 am

Good info..
jesica1