Filter for cichlid tank

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Filter for cichlid tank

Postby ambooz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm

I have a cichlid tank. But the top filter which comes with the tank stopped working(was using it with white sponge and active carbon packs).Now I am thinking of switching to a new filter , when I checked with the aquarium shop , they said to go with a canister filter than the old one I had .

Tank size : 4x2x2.5 (L-W-H)feet .
Fishes : 4 convict + 4 yellow lab + 2 blue lab

Should I go for a canister filter or the old top filter ?? Budget is around 5 k
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Filter for cichlid tank

Postby krishhaldermail.com » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:07 pm

For the Cichlid setup I don't think it is a good idea to invest in canister..(it will probably cost 4-4.5k), as cichlids are normally very hardy fish, they will survive without proper bio filtration. You can opt for either top filter you can use ceramic rings in it for both mechanical & bio filtration. IPF is also a good idea, I just came to know now a days ipf also comes with a chamber for ceramic rings.

you can also buy a power head and replace it with the damaged old one, it will hardly cost 200 bucks.
krishhaldermail.com
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Kalyan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 pm

Hello ambooz , for your tank volume , sump is the best option . Canister's withing your budget will not solve the purpose . Even if you opt for a EHEIM 2217 you still need to run a top filter of 2000 lph . As your budget is 5 k , you can invest that in two Top filters of 2000 lph and one of 1000 lph and the most important part is to get a good Bio media like Seachem Matrix/ ADA Bio Rio / Eheim Lav . Matrix and Bio rio both are pumice stones which is porus and will help to colonize beneficial bacteria / Eheim Lav is small pieces of Lava rock which will do the same job . No matter how hardy your fishes are , you need to give them proper filtration along with good surface agitation . Don't ever compromise with your filtration system as it is the Heart of an Aquarium.
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ambooz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks for the advise . I am going for 2 sobo 3880f Which is 2500l/h . But still confused about the quantity of bio media . should I go for a 1000L or 2000L ??? Should I still use my active carbon in these filters ?? I am going to buy everything from eBay . since none of this available in my home town (alleppy , kerala )
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ambooz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 pm

krishhaldermail.com wrote:For the Cichlid setup I don't think it is a good idea to invest in canister..(it will probably cost 4-4.5k), as cichlids are normally very hardy fish, they will survive without proper bio filtration. You can opt for either top filter you can use ceramic rings in it for both mechanical & bio filtration. IPF is also a good idea, I just came to know now a days ipf also comes with a chamber for ceramic rings.

you can also buy a power head and replace it with the damaged old one, it will hardly cost 200 bucks.

Checked the power head idea . but sees like my current one is not matching with anything available online .
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Kalyan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:26 pm

ambooz wrote:Thanks for the advise . I am going for 2 sobo 3880f Which is 2500l/h . But still confused about the quantity of bio media . should I go for a 1000L or 2000L ??? Should I still use my active carbon in these filters ?? I am going to buy everything from eBay . since none of this available in my home town (alleppy , kerala )

Use 2 L of Media Seachem/Ada/Eheim any of these with sponges . No need to use Carbon .
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24 am

Only thing you need to add Algae scrubber in your top filter . I have the design but you can visit the website of algae scrubber and you yourself can do it. In my Discus tank I am using it for over a year. Be happy.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ambooz » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:58 pm

But fish eat algae right ??? I heard like cichild fishes need them .
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Food and Equipments