Algae Scrubber

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Algae Scrubber

Postby aquaamal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:39 am

U can go through the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_scrubber from where I came to know about the system. After going through the page if u have any ideas pl. exchange but pl. dont misunderstood me.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: LOTs of fish death

Postby Rohan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:40 am

I liked the idea but wan't you to share your own with us. Start a new post yourself and write down abt the system you are using. :)
Rohan

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:54 am

Rohan wrote:I liked the idea but wan't you to share your own with us. Start a new post yourself and write down abt the system you are using. :)

Yeah, that would have been q lot better than posting in every thread that too out of context in some cases. Please do feel free to provide the info u gathered in a new thread as Rohan mentioned. We would be happy to learn... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby aquaamal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 am

As asked I am trying to describe my system as clear as possible. Following are the steps.
1. I took a 3/4 " PVC pipe of 10 " length.
2. Cut a slot of 1/8" width from one end upto 8" of the pipe along the axis ( i.e. one end slotted and the other end unslotted )
3. Inserted rough screen composed of synthetic woolen pad of length 7" x 8" into the slot of the pipe.
4. Took a small bucket with cover and cut two slots of pipe dia in opposite direction.
5. Hanged the pipe with screen on the slot of the bucket.
6. Fixed 2 nos CFL lamp (14 Watt ) on the cover of the bucket so as to throw light on the screen from both direction.
7. Put the cover back on the bucket.
8. Made holes at the bottom of the bucket as drain holes and at top cover to keep cool.
9. Placed the entire thing on the top of the tank and connected the output of the pump to the unslotted side of the pipe and cap the other end.
10. Started the pump and put on the light.
11. Dirty water started flowing through the pipe and comming down all the way along the screen with light from both side of the screen.
12 channeled the water flow into the display tank.
13. After 2 to 3 days started growing green algae.
14. After 14 days a lot of algae grown and cleaned the screen just by washing in the sink basin and again put it back into the system.

That is all about my system of filtration. u have full liberty to like it or not but I am so happy with the system I am running since 9 months.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:32 pm

Mr. @aquaamal just found out you are at the age of my father’s. A warm welcome sir... ^:)^
Reading about your Algae scrubber idea from the morning.....
In my opinion in every problem it is the solution, it can solve 1) excessive algae growth 2) necessity of good filtration for discus/ cichlid tank /planted tanks 3) can be used as water conditioner and many more.... :ymapplause:
Just read about your DIY algae scrubber. Quite interesting......
I think it is essential for any tank. I want this amazing product for my tank also.....
But Sir, it will be much more convincing if you posted some photos of your tank. Then it will be easy for me to understand its efficiency.....
So Sir please keeps my request and shares share some pictorial update of your tank in a new thread......

NB: If you face any problem to open a new thread, just inform me. I will do that for you.....
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:40 pm

Yes Soumya (like my son) I finally found someone who had open mind to go through the details. However I will definitely post my tank's photo but presently my Camera is not working still I will try my best to post some photo of my Tank. One thing I request you to go through the following links so that your understanding will be more clear.
http://mullinsfarms.com/misc/algae-turf-scrubbers/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_scrubber
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:55 pm

aquaamal wrote:Yes Soumya (like my son) I finally found someone who had open mind to go through the details. However I will definitely post my tank's photo but presently my Camera is not working still I will try my best to post some photo of my Tank. One thing I request you to go through the following links so that your understanding will be more clear.

Most of the people are open-minded here and ready to listen any suggestion..... :)
But I have found you are suggesting the algae scrubber idea for almost every problem in various posts (with some very old thread). Yes I belief it is a very good idea and can improve our tank condition much better (or should I say best???).
This idea is not very popular among us (though I have read about some tanks with algae scrubber in sump probably), so they are asking you to provide some data about your tank (its type, bio load, filtration, light etc) so they can assess the efficiency of this system, particularly in Kolkata condition (as most of us are Kolkata based).....
If it is that much efficient then we will happily accept this method. We just want something with which we can compare our tank condition....

Thanks sir happy to get your reply, I will definitely go through the links you shared. Now sir please open a new thread or the author of this thread will be angry, finding our conversation irrelevant with his original topic........
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Algae Scrubber-Working Principle and Application Areas

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Hello All, Opening this thread with the notion to learn about Algae Scrubber, a concept new to me which was introduced to many newbies like me today by @aquaamal Sir.

I apologize to you if my words have been harsh.

Now coming to the topic, here is the info already shared on other threads. Keeping it here for easy access through forum's search engine... :)

aquaamal wrote:As asked I am trying to describe my system as clear as possible. Following are the steps.
1. I took a 3/4 " PVC pipe of 10 " length.
2. Cut a slot of 1/8" width from one end upto 8" of the pipe along the axis ( i.e. one end slotted and the other end unslotted )
3. Inserted rough screen composed of synthetic woolen pad of length 7" x 8" into the slot of the pipe.
4. Took a small bucket with cover and cut two slots of pipe dia in opposite direction.
5. Hanged the pipe with screen on the slot of the bucket.
6. Fixed 2 nos CFL lamp (14 Watt ) on the cover of the bucket so as to throw light on the screen from both direction.
7. Put the cover back on the bucket.
8. Made holes at the bottom of the bucket as drain holes and at top cover to keep cool.
9. Placed the entire thing on the top of the tank and connected the output of the pump to the unslotted side of the pipe and cap the other end.
10. Started the pump and put on the light.
11. Dirty water started flowing through the pipe and comming down all the way along the screen with light from both side of the screen.
12 channeled the water flow into the display tank.
13. After 2 to 3 days started growing green algae.
14. After 14 days a lot of algae grown and cleaned the screen just by washing in the sink basin and again put it back into the system.

That is all about my system of filtration. u have full liberty to like it or not but I am so happy with the system I am running since 9 months.

aquaamal wrote:One thing I request you to go through the following links so that your understanding will be more clear.

and some more which didnt seem very important to bring here.

You have mentioned that Algae scrubber is the best possible solution for most of the water quality related problem, may it be A Discus, other Cichlid, Marines or Planted tanks.

I have been going through some links any found people using it and fetching results out of it, however, I am unable to figure out 1 thing, that is- Suppose I have a planted tank & I got algae in my show tank. Now when we add a algae scrubber unit, algae grows in the chamber, quite possible. But, the main tank will thn stop growing algae, couldnt understand why. I will be very thankful, if you kindly elaborate the reason for this. Thank you!

We now know your are not a spammer, so feel free to share your experience and enrich us with the knowledge you have gather over so many years. It may be so that you might have been in the hobby more than my age itself :|
So kindly ignore the previous conversations and do share some infos that will help us all grow. :)

To all forum members, gyz I now have come to know that some of the senior people are also having this in their tanks and hence would request them to share their experience and knowledge too alongside... :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Re: Algae Scrubber-Working Principle and Application Areas

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks... :)
Last edited by SanamMarik on Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Re: Algae Scrubber

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Now we have a thread to make our discussion about algae scrubber.
I need some time to go through your links then I will return here...
@SanamMarik @debrajsahu have a look and ask him about it.......
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Food and Equipments