Algae Scrubber

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Algae Scrubber

Postby chanda.subhasis » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:32 am

dear aquaamal sir, we all are here to see and hear more details about your algae scrubber and about your tank in detail. Basically nowadays we are very cautious regarding spammer and self marketing that's why some of us took you something like that way. But I can assure you those people are really big hearted and devoted to this hobby. So don't be dishearten and share your experiences with us.
Please give some pictures if it is possible for you.
waiting.........
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby vikramdutta » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:18 am

Dear Aquaamal Sir, I really apologize if I have hurt you, this was really unknown to me also, please share your DIY algae scrubber photo as you have shared the making of it, it will be easier for us to make one for us. I have gone through your links in a hurry and I need time to understand the process. As every one is asking I too is waiting for the Photos. please upload photo from your cell phone camera as you have said that ur camera is not working.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:09 am

To all of my son like members, at this age I never mind for a small thing. However I am uploading photo taken by my old mobile phone and as my hand is shaking the actual photo may not exhibited.But during uploading file as .jpg it is not taking for too big size. I am trying to convert in paint file. Just wait please.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:40 am

To all members, I am unable to reduce my photos below 500KB. Hence unable to upload. Can anybody help me?
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby vikramdutta » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:43 am

pls open the photo with paint, then go to resize option then reduce from 100 to 50 and it'll b done.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:58 am

DSC01485 1.jpg
DSC01499 2.jpg

Yes I have already done this.Finally I have attached the file. In my detail DIY description I have mentioned to use small bucket and CFL lamps. But to reduce the cost and to reduce the power consumption I have used plastic box which were lying unused in my house and I also used LED lights ( 6 Red and one Blue) which consume almost no power. There are lot of things to share. Just at around 7 PM I will post more details of my simple Scrubber. Thanks to all of you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:07 pm

Guys..algae scrubbers are in use at large since very long time , even before some of us were born, with the purpose of waste water treatment in many of the countries and return the pure water back in nature, instead of passing the waste water to the riversystem and jeopardising the ecosystem which happens in India and many other countries. Later this method was picked up by few avid hobbysts to purify the tank water in the most natural way. Algae scrubbers work best for marin / reef tanks because in reef environment a special rough algae is produced which is know as Turf algae. So mostly the algae scrubbers are referred as Algae turf scrubber or "ATS". We reefers use it as the heart of the reefs nutrient export methodology, it might be a new knowledge for people still onto fresh water end. There are few pros and cons of this technology(only people who have used it know)
1) fresh water cannot produce turf algae so it is difficult to implement algae scrubbers in fw system
2) planted tank owners should never even bother about ats as it will otherwise consume all nutrients your plants are supposed to eat.
3) even for marine it is required to change water and dose additional potassium as ATS consumes K pretty fast and the growth slows down
4) there are various designs/ logics of ATS and atleast 35gph flow per inch length of screen is required to have sustained growth(this flow rate allows better atmospheric co2 disolution)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:13 pm

To all my beloved members, I come back again to share something about my own observations for Algae Scrubber. After a lot of net search about the proper and best filtration process required for my almost dying aquarium habitats I came to know about the updated information for ATS ( Algae Turf Scrubber ). Initially with a hasitation I started to build as I described earlier.I got surprising result. Then I went through details. As per their guidelines I changed to the system in totality.It is suggested to run the pump 24x7. And the light should be on only for 18 hrs. How to do it? Problem is that if the pump run for 24 hours continuously day by day it may be spoiled. I used two pumps. U might have seen two lines connecting with the output pipe. With a very simple timer device I programmed the system to start at 04:00 hrs with one pump and the light upto 22:00 and the at 22:05 hrs the second pump will start to maintain a constant flow of water. Philosophy behind this probably already known by you through the web site. More over one of my friend has simply put a CFL light on a horizontal flow of water of course in a small aquarium and he is successful to some extent. Now I like to know your reaction.Within a day or two I will post the picture of the screen built up with green algae. Thanks.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:41 pm

xarg0n wrote:...atleast 35gph flow per inch length of screen is required to have sustained growth(this flow rate allows better atmospheric co2 disolution)

Sourav da, can you please elaborate this part...unable to figure out... :-??
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:25 pm

xarg0n wrote:Guys..algae scrubbers are in use at large since very long time , even before some of us were born, with the purpose of waste water treatment in many of the countries and return the pure water back in nature, instead of passing the waste water to the riversystem and jeopardising the ecosystem which happens in India and many other countries.

Yes once the waste-water of entire Kolkata passed through East Kolkata Wetlands and got treated naturally before returning main river system. The sewage system still runs through the same region but we already ruined most of the ecosystem by making lavish Salt lake city and other parts are generally used as Veris.
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Equipments