Algae Scrubber

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Algae Scrubber

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Yes we are jeopardising the ecosystem where we live and where we want such a healthy environment so that our next generation can breath easily. In my opinion it is a process ( What we are doing in the name of civilisation ) of destruction of human civilisation.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:53 pm

aquaamal wrote:
DSC01485 1.jpg
DSC01499 2.jpg

Yes I have already done this.Finally I have attached the file. In my detail DIY description I have mentioned to use small bucket and CFL lamps. But to reduce the cost and to reduce the power consumption I have used plastic box which were lying unused in my house and I also used LED lights ( 6 Red and one Blue) which consume almost no power. There are lot of things to share. Just at around 7 PM I will post more details of my simple Scrubber. Thanks to all of you.

just a few clarifications I need-
1) how are you doing mechanical filtration?
2) how long the algae has been growing and do you dose anything for them to thrive?
3) why is red led suitable and not blue? in my knowledge, chlorophyll grows best in blue.

thanks for taking the pain to share your knowledge and experience, I will give a try surely... :)

One Suggestion- please dont keep goldfish and Discus in the same tank... :)

Also, you didnt have to use two power head and timer, the heads are meant to run 24x7 and has quite less expiry rate...Mine are running 3yrs at the oldest....jst switch it onn and forget... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby xarg0n » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:04 pm

I am still in office..I have already covered the spectral distribution in many other topics..I will repost here again once I am back
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby aquaamal » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:31 pm

For Q1.-- Practically no separate mechanical filtration being used.
Q2. -- I am running the system since last nine months and nothing is done for dosing.
Q3. --I got information that in hydroponics the spectrum is 660nm Deep Red for Chlorophyll A and 460nm Bright Blue for Chlorophyll B. Of course I don't have full knowledge. I have purchased online as per recomendation. I am also ready to take any suggestion from you or anyone else.

Yes I also dont want to keep Goldfish but as it grown a big size I just unable to throw out. But u r 100 % correct. I will do something surely.
I got really confident from your experience that only one head is enough. Lot of thanks
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:24 pm

aquaamal wrote: Q3. --I got information that in hydroponics the spectrum is 660nm Deep Red for Chlorophyll A and 460nm Bright Blue for Chlorophyll B. Of course I don't have full knowledge. I have purchased online as per recomendation. I am also ready to take any suggestion from you or anyone else.

Dada(I hope you dont mind if I refer to u as Dada :) ), please take a look at the below picture... :) However, as we now hav got a paradox... I will perform an experiment to grow algae with red and blue led and update accordingly :)
But in my experience I have seen growth to have hiked with presence of dedicated blue lights...although I am yet to try the same with red....
thread link- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=245&p=3309
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Yes a common practice among algae scrubber guys is using red lights (exceptions are there also)....
going through a busy schedule and just biting my nails not for getting much time for research about this topic properly....
@SanamMarik have a look on this thread please.....

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2048-Pete-s-Algae-Scrubber-for-a-Planted-Tank
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:12 pm

aquaamal wrote:For Q1.-- Practically no separate mechanical filtration being used.

So sir you have to give attention separately to clear fish poops and debris from your your tank bottom then.....
It is easy for this tank as it is bare bottom but if you have one with gravel (or other thing) then is it possible for you to keep faith only on scrubber??

Another thing along with this type of bio-filtration system do you never feel any necessity of mechanical filtration, especially when you are keeping goldies??? :-\
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:14 pm

@aquamal, you are running it in fw and doing regular water change. We dont change water this frequent in marine as it is expensive deal. With frequent wc you dont need to dose..
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby aquaamal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:35 am

As per the discussion of using mechanical filter I am to say that it will be very hard to believe that I rely only on AS. Initially I used to put some pads in the flow lines to restrict the debris to enter the display tank, but by now I don’t use any thing like that. From the site information I understood that the uneaten food ( which happens very rare ) and the fish waste is not removed by AS. Instead it takes out the toxic NH3, NO3 formed by the waste. This is what I have understood. I think all of u have already gone through the site information and if u have any different analysis then that will help me. To keep my fish healthy and for good look of display tank I must educate myself from this forum discussion and gaining knowledge has no end. One more thing I like to know about the monthly meeting schedule. Otherwise if u don’t mind I am requesting and inviting u to pay a visit to my house which is in between Gallif and DumDum stn. And we can discuss so many things for knowledge gain. But u may not have spare time like me as I am retired personnel. Still if u can manage for knowledge sharing along with a nice cup of tea I will be very happy. Thanks.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 am

ATS is mainly used to absorb inorganic NO3 / PO4 (ortho-phosphates) and some DOC/POC
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Equipments