Algae Scrubber

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Algae Scrubber

Postby Platinum » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:20 am

Ahaa, Filtration is one of my favorite topics, which is not discussed much. The use of ATS in a freshwater system sounds innovative but would have its pros and cons and may or may not suit everybody.

@aquaamal Sir, I can understand the use of ATS in a marine ecosystem, but is it any ‘more’ helpful in a Freshwater system. It’s a strict no-no for planted tanks as the algae will compete with the plants for available nutrients hampering their growth. In a fish only tank don’t you think running a ATS will require more space and wont it be more expensive to run then just using any other form of filtration?

One needs a separate light running 18hrs a day and an electronic device (pump) to feed it water. Also the link provided mentions addition of phosphate in case of ‘low levels’ so as for the ATS to work efficiently in removing nitrogen.

One advantage I can see of an ATS in freshwater system is the removal of Nitrate and Phospate (although the link mentions adding it in case the levels are zero), prolonging the need for a water change. But I still believe that water changes are very important as they will help replenish trace elements and essential minerals in a closed ecosystem, helping the Fish in the process of Osmoregulation.

Also I believe as in a Marine tank the ATS is used along with a skimmer, which removes organic matter, in a Freshwater tank it should be used with a mechanical filter for effective and complete filtration.
Platinum
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby xarg0n » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Skimmer along with an Ats is optional , not a necessity. Whatever mostly removed by a skimmer from water column are otherwise known as food for some organism. Its important to understand in a marine ecology everything that suspends in water column is food to some one in some way or other. This is the trick behind the pristine water quality of natural reef. N and P are exchanged continuously in organic form and total available food is always equivalent to hunger. In home aquarium you have to keep total food < hunger. Ats will remove the inorganic form of N & P and will create more natural food as phyto and zoo planktons in the process. Organic matters are also food to something if you know who they are ;)
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby aquaamal » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Yes, in SW tank ATS is used in addition to Protein Skimmer and recommended also. But varies case to case. So far in my FW tank which is having mainly Discus, with two goldfish and Angel I am running ATS for last 9 months happily without any mechanical filter. But so far cost is involved I think this is manageable because in any modern Tank the power filter device is provided as default. About light I have put LEDs which consumes very less power and durable also. Other fittings is not of much cost . Moreover compared to canister filter and other typical filters I am very much happy because of two things. One is get rid of nuisance Algae in the display tank which really spoils the total look of the tank. And the other thing is no frequent water change is required. More over after losing lot of fish finally I am v.v happy with the ATS. But what u have mentioned for addition of phosphate is a valuable point , but till date I have not done any dosing of phosphate, and in fact I don’t have any idea of dosing phosphate. Thanks for your valuable comments and discussion.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:46 pm

I run a 120gal reef with a wet dry trickle and an ATS ..thats it. Everyone is happy , PO4 is unditectable, there are some NO3 though but not very much in the alarming zone.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:48 pm

aquaamal wrote:...Moreover compared to canister filter and other typical filters I am very much happy because of two things. One is get rid of nuisance Algae in the display tank which really spoils the total look of the tank. And the other thing is no frequent water change is required. More over after losing lot of fish finally I am v.v happy with the ATS...

1) can you please let us know the lights u are using presently on the display tank?
2) what is your present WC schedule?
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Platinum » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:06 am

xarg0n wrote:Skimmer along with an Ats is optional , not a necessity.

Buddy I didn’t mean that a skimmer is necessary with an ATS. I don’t have any experience with Marine side of the hobby but I guess the use of skimmer is related to several factors such as the bioload, the feeding regime etc, correct me if I am wrong.
What I wanted to say is that I think in a Freshwater system the ATS would (I am not saying ‘will’ as have never used it) work better with some form of mechanical filtration as it would give a more efficient form of filtration.

aquaamal wrote:But so far cost is involved I think this is manageable because in any modern Tank the power filter device is provided as default. About light I have put LEDs which consumes very less power and durable also. Other fittings is not of much cost .

For single tank it seems fine, but for people with multiple tanks, like me, doing it for each and every tank will add up to the running cost, unless if one has a centralized filtration system, but again it has its pros and cons. Lets not get into it.

aquaamal wrote:And the other thing is no frequent water change is required

I would again like to stress that I believe that there is no substitute to water change for maintaining a tank in the long term. Water change is a wider thing then just removing nitrates and phosphates, which no doubt the ATS would be doing effectively for you. As mentioned earlier water changes will also help replenish the vital trace elements and minerals in a closed ecosystem, helping the fish with osmoregulation. All the biological activity in the tank will result in acidification, using up kH in the water. kH is directly related to the pH and a drop in kH will lead to a decline in pH, eventually leading to a pH crash in the long term.

Its good to see members discussing such important topics, which will definately help a lot of people going forward...:)
Platinum
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:50 am

DSC01509.JPG
DSC01510.JPG
Yes I 100% agree with u that water changing has no substitue in such a closed echo system. But changing of water involves more attention and time. To reduce that I have done some pipe work with siphoning system and created some easy method so that my wife also can do it easily by opening and closing some valves only. By this system I used to change water frequently earlier when I have no idea about ATS. But now I just change water when I forgot to clean the screen for more than 7 days. Then only water become cloudy and I change the water, otherwise not.
As asked by Mr. Sanam Marik I On an average WC schedule is every after 3 weeks or so. However I am posting the picture of my ATS screen with the green algae developed just within 2and half days. And so far the display tank light I simply use the 3 ft T8 tube pink and blue as the original light gone out of order. Thanks for getting knowledge from u all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:07 pm

thanks for all the info sir. one last question, did u buy the Duscus fishes of the same size you provided in the pic or smaller ones? If smaller ones, how small and how long are the fishes with you? and their present size in inches... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Bit off the ATS topic... Has anyone considered for a complete nitrogen cycle? Nitrification and De-nitrification... merines do using big porous live rocks... and they meet the purpose to a manageable way... to some extent!
But, in FW, did anyone tried? With couple of Big Lava rock pieces?
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby aquaamal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 am

SanamMarik wrote:thanks for all the info sir. one last question, did u buy the Duscus fishes of the same size you provided in the pic or smaller ones? If smaller ones, how small and how long are the fishes with you? and their present size in inches... :)

Good morning to all of you. As asked by Mr. Sanam Marik, Presently I have 7 Discus. Out of these 3 purchased more than more than 10 months with 2Rs coin size, 2 six months back with 3 " size and rest 2 on 4 months back. However the first 2 to 3 discus purchased earlier than that died forcing me to switch to ATS. But if u have any doubt of their growth or any other doubt please feel free to discuss. That is why we are here. I never claim that what I have done that is the best. I might have done wrong thing also. Please rectify me. I want to educate me even at this age. At last once again I like to know the Meeting schedule. Thanks.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Food and Equipments