Algae Scrubber

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Algae Scrubber

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:44 am

There might nt be a meeting this monyh.
Regarding Discus growth- at juvi stage, its preferred to do daily or alt day wc. The reason is- while growing, they release some hormone which stops growth to other growing Discus fishes. We try nullifying the hormone concentration in water by doing frequent wc. Now i was chking if ats is smhow nullifying those hormones as ur fishes have grown. To claim that ats can b used to skip wc, experiments needed to be done. So, it will be helful for all of us if u note down the matrices in following manner- initial size- duration with you-present size. Thanks for the infos. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby aquaamal » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:39 am

U are absolutely correct and I used for Wc frequently initially. But now I have reduced substantially. But after getting your information I will start wc very frequently so as to maintain all parameters healthy. And water changing is very easy in my case as I have made arrangement by siphoning and some valve arrangement. Whenever there will be meeting pl. inform me. I am also requesting to pay a visit to my house as per your convenience. Thanks one again.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:46 am

Ats consumes a load of biological films available within water column which includes excess slimes released by fish/inverts and other metabolic wastes. One clear indication that they do it is you will never see cyano bacteria in an established tank run by ats. Though like many other organism cyano needs phosphates as phosphates are building blocks, but also organic matters which actually are their food. Only an ATS can make cyano perish from system. Again when phosphates are typically 0 you will find Nitrates does not reduce anymore. Because Nitrates and phosphates are required in balanced supply for new algae growth. Without phosphates, new growths are not possible. Thats when you should supply little phosphates by dosing or do some wc using tap water which naturally has phosphates.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby xarg0n » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:18 am

Someone was telling about light requirements.

For every photosynthetic organism (direct or indirect) chlorophyll A & B both plays very important roles. As many of us already know both of these chlorophylls are important in photosynthesis but we need to have a clear idea on how exactly these work.

CHL A works mostly with deep red/infra red (660-680nm) & uv/violet blue(390-420nm) zone.

CHL B mostly operates with normal red (620-630nm) & royal blue(445-460nm) zone.

The spectrum of sunlight has abundance of red & blue that chl b needs during surise and afternoon. And the spectrum that chl a needs is mostly available during mid day or when the sun is quite strong.

Plants / photosynthetic organisms use both these chlorophyls to effectively use sunlight throughout the entire day.

Chlophyl b mostly used during earlymorning and say 3 pm onward. Whereas chlorphyl A takes charge during high sun.

In simple words chl A handle the high energy beams and chl B handle the low energy beams.

When chl A is in charge , nutrient uptake sky rockets.

Many of our fellow hobbyists keep on crying about algae infestations in their tanks and they go nuts to control algae in reactive manner by
H2O2 spot dosing
Glut Dosing
Too many water changes
using many other algae inhibitors commercially available in the market & what not.

The primary reason that algae infests is normally given by people as poor nutrient control in the water. But that's reactive way of thinking the whole scenario.
I asked if algae can feed on nutrients , why plants cant ? what is stopping them from using up nutrients that were meant for them ?

The answer is we do not utilize the chlorophyll A at home because none of the commercial light fixtures we use can produce the spectrum that usually chlorophyll A is supposed to work on.
No Matter how expensive PL lamps / T5 people use , phosphors cannot produce this range of high energy spectrum as they will reduce the life of these lamps drastically if manufacturers
make them this way. The fixture will also heat up terribly.

This is why LEDs these days are far better solution for this hobby because LEDs do come with 660-730 nm Deep Reds and 380-420 nm UVs, You can make use of Chlorophyll A now with pride .
But yes these has to be installed additionally to whatever lighting solutions are in use. Also remember when you activate Chlorophyll A , dosing is going to be increased exponentially as well. So if someone is having apathy of dosing , they should refrain from upgrading their lights, else only algae will be harvested in their tanks =)) .

Normally the ratio Reds to blue should be 7:1 , where Reds are responsible for promoting new growths and blues mature the new growths.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:35 am

Wow! Great info. Thanks for taking the pain to type it in... \m/
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby aquaamal » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:54 am

Thanks for such a great emphasis on the light spectrum analysis for chlorophyll A & B. I am using the LED lights from both side of the screen with 6 red and 1 blue each set. This I bought from ebay after searching for ATS. However before u detailed I was having no idea.
Next thing I have observed that sometime algae growth in the screen is not as desired and again achieved after wc. As u mentioned for wc by tap water po4 is naturally dosed. I again thanking to KAC members for such a great discussions to educate ourselves. Hope for meeting and discuss face to face.
aquaamal
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby vikramdutta » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:59 am

Fantastic Boss
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Previous

Return to Food and Equipments