Mechanical + Biological Filtration

It's all about nutrition and hygiene. Talk about food, filters etc here
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Mechanical + Biological Filtration

Postby Rohan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 am

We all know that there are basically 3 types of filtration:

1. Mechanical - which removes any debris or suspended particles
2. Biological - which helps in colonization of beneficial bacteria that helps in removing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
3. Chemical - which removes organic matters

For Mechanical filtration we generally use sponges(both fine and course), filter floss and similar media where for Biological filtration we use media which is highly porous and provides large surface areas for bacteria colonization.

Now my main objective to start this discussion is to get every hobbyists view on the use and effectiveness of Mechanical filter media as Biological filter media.

I request everyone to share their personal views and ideas and keep this thread informative. We can share the filter media we like and their pros and cons.

My own views are:

1. The coarse sponges that we use helps in eliminating small to large debris and sediments. Also due to its porous nature and large surface area bacteria colonization takes place which further helps in Biological filtration besides the mechanical filtration.

2. Same with filter floss and other Mechanical media.

3. The only problem that we may face is that these media gets clogged in time and needs to be cleaned which removes or kills the beneficial bacteria.
Rohan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Mechanical + Biological Filtration

Postby pulsarabhi » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 am

This might not be the answer you are looking for but I am doubtful about point 3 above. I don't think BB is killed while cleaning your filter media if you use the tank water for cleaning. May be you'll loose some, but nothing substantial in my experience. I have tried this by testing for ammonia before and after a filter clean. And I have seen no spikes.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sahajaydip » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:46 pm

clogging is the genuine problem of sponge media. ..specially with heavely planted tank its clogged very frequently and sometimes its required to clean it under running water..so probably best idea here is to use two separate filter and clean alternatively if you are not planning for other biological media
Thanks
Jaydip

'If you're going through hell, keep going'.

Mytank- http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5342
sahajaydip
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:05 pm

As the discussion demands... mechanical as biological... IMO & IME, this should not be attempted... in aged tanks this will becomes a so called 'nitrate factory' and if you have plants then you have a chance to settle up to a threshold value of no3 ppm.. that's also quite high and to maintain that threshold you actually need to battle with the plant growth factor!
Added foods + decaying plant matter = more mulm clogging your Mech Filter = 24X7 more food to BB = more & more nitrate
That's why bioballs are there.. they provide great surface area and never clogs.

I use socks and fine polishing pad... both get a bleach bath after one week of use... dried... use prime... get replaced in next week... have 3 sets.
For bio using Bioballs, matrix, habib and a large quantity of lava rocks in a sump set-up.

IMO, big pieces of lava rocks helps achieving some degree of denitrification, i.e. anaerobic activity. Initally seeded with seachem stability - they claim to have a good number of anaerobic strains - I mean, not sulphur scavenging bacteria.

Have no marines... I believe in marine set-ups huge amount of LR replaces Lava-Rocks (again LR! ;) ) in FW systems or vice versa.

Thanks,
Saptarshi
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:32 am

We can use plants to suck up some nitrogen.. I am using pothos in all my betta tanks.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Murtazadhanera » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Bioballs never clog?
You research in depth my friend?
They generate nitrates, they are known as nitrate factories. We avoid use of bioballs.
Murtazadhanera
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Food and Equipments