Platinum Soil Review

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Platinum Soil Review

Postby abhirup » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:14 am

rahul wrote:let me now categorise some commercial subs available now-a-days
A-inert like fluorite ,laterite ,soilrite etc which mostly depend on CEC,although they have no nutrition on its own.They dont affect water quality either.

Rahul I beg to differ to some extent regarding this Category "A". Are they really inert??

Laterite is rich in iron and if it comes in direct contact with the water column can cause havoc in the planted tank. Similarly Soilrite also should be topped well with inert substrates like sand gravels. Moreover the Irish Peat which is a constituent of Soilrite contains humic acids and is capable of altering the pH and kH of the water to a certain level. Even Seachem fluorite contains mainly micro elements and Potassium.

But you have rightly categorized these substrates in a different group which I guess can be renamed as not so rich in Ammonia/Nitrogen source for plants.
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby xarg0n » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:33 am

This is true, my point was using substrate as just a media to propagate roots better and sueing humic conditon alone for algae is not fair deal. Iron and other micros if available in the water column as abhirup told is more responsible than humus.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:16 am

But dada, we do have micro dosing on. We dont face algal issues much despite their presence. What i have experienced is ammonia is such a compound that most plants cant uptake directly but most algae can and dat causes algal blooms.
Please correct me if I am wrong. Most imp is the biofiltration part dat breaks ammo down. Secondly, i prefer to keep the substrate surface as clean as possible using xtra power heads. Third, lesser the disintegration bttr it is i believe, coz normally uppermost subsrate remains intact but lower ones get crushed. Due to this the circulation goes nill in the lower substrate part. Then after while uprooting a healthy plant, i have never been able to get the complete root as it breaks, no mattr how slowly i pull. The remaining part of the root in the substrate is a potential ammo mine afaik. Nd over time it rots in there. Nxt tym wen we pull out a plant near by, the ammo trapped in the compact disintegrated substrate comes up to mix with the water column at higher concentration which filters might nt b able to handle. I am talking abt a scenario when uprootings r done through out the tank here nd there.

On the other hand, if the substrate doesnt disintigrate, most of the times i could bring out d entire root structure intact. And evn if some roots stay nd rot in there, as the subs is nt compact, ammo will leach out gradually in v negligible amounts which filters can handle. Uprooting near by plants wont cause a lot of ammo to come up as the ammo mine is consumed over time. Nd hence why i am looking fr a substrate which wont disintegrate. Pleaze do feel free to correct me if there is a flaw in my understanding. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby abhirup » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:16 am

xarg0n wrote:This is true, my point was using substrate as just a media to propagate roots better and sueing humic conditon alone for algae is not fair deal. Iron and other micros if available in the water column as abhirup told is more responsible than humus.

Sorry didn't get you bro. Can you please explain a bit what you are trying to say.
abhirup
Admin
Admin

Postby rahul » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:15 pm

abhirup wrote:
rahul wrote:let me now categorise some commercial subs available now-a-days
A-inert like fluorite ,laterite ,soilrite etc which mostly depend on CEC,although they have no nutrition on its own.They dont affect water quality either.

Rahul I beg to differ to some extent regarding this Category "A". Are they really inert??

Laterite is rich in iron and if it comes in direct contact with the water column can cause havoc in the planted tank. Similarly Soilrite also should be topped well with inert substrates like sand gravels. Moreover the Irish Peat which is a constituent of Soilrite contains humic acids and is capable of altering the pH and kH of the water to a certain level. Even Seachem fluorite contains mainly micro elements and Potassium.

But you have rightly categorized these substrates in a different group which I guess can be renamed as not so rich in Ammonia/Nitrogen source for plants.

yes you are right.they can be renamed.the idea was to segregate them.the first category does deserve a rename. :)
i think the normal laterite in nature comes with a lot of impurities and so its basically not inert strictly.and so the soilrite.capping is a must.
rahul

Postby rahul » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:42 pm

sanam i think if you want a substrate which does not disintegrate ,you can go with fluorite but the thing is its more like some gravel or 'khowa'.i have used it but i have grown lush hairgrass carpet last winter if you will remember.even kalyan did an HC carpet in it.but we both had one thing in common-EI dosing. :D

and honestly the most popular substrates are degradable.inspite of that we love to use it.and the degradation over time depends on a lot of factors.water parameters play a vital role.depends on pH,temp,tds,etc plus in third world countries,some old and deadstocks of first world countries are sent for stock clearance. those substrates usually come with bag being punctured or even subjected to rough transportation.be careful wit it.
rahul

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:31 pm

yes I do remember, where everything outgrew... :D
I am settling in for Platinum this time...lets see how it does... :)
presently price is kinda high 1800/9L... :(
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Update here-

got 2x9L bags from http://www.indianaquarium.com/

Observations-
KH lowered from 12 to 5 on 2nd week, 2days aftr 50% wc. i dont know how. :-o :-o :-o :-o I checked twice and got the same results. My tap water has 12 KH.
PH also lowered to 6.5-7.5... tap water pH is around 8-8.5

Now with these parameters I am gonna take a chance with Tonina once more... :D
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Forgot to add,
Washing the soil- I did wash the soil a bit like 3-4 times in the tank and thn after it stopped getting murky anymore. However the company says nt to wash it but u know u cant straighten a dogs tail :P btw, water gets cleared up pretty fast by the canister in like an hr or two due to excessively high lph may b...
nutrient Leaching- no issues like dat after evn 10 days. not much visible algae either.
Dosing - started from 3rd day with K, normal weekly dosing amount. K-20ppm fr 1st week.
Nitrate dosing started after 2days after K started. Again normal dosing targeting 10ppm 1st week. as I didnt observe any deficiency.
Micro- 100gm in 600ml- dosed total of 15ml for 1st week.
P, Mg and Fe didnt dose.

keeping the dosing less for the 1st 3-4 weeks and also not using the full potential from the lights. Floated a big Riccia mat to keep things under supervision :P

will keep on updating on the progress on a new thread for the new tank... :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby souvikr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Can you please share the Riccia picture
souvikr
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Planted Tank Discussion