FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - War Against Algae

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - War Against Algae

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:12 am

After a long wait and a little study and learning from all the KAC members, I am finally ready for the Planted tank. "READY" does not mean that I hav become an expert, it means now I am ready to jump in the hobby, full fledged and will require you peoples help to make the tank a success. Now giving you the details so that you can help me for the scape, plant selection and the the planting position,

Tank - 24"/16"/16" - (L/B/H)
Substrate - ADA AMAZONIA 9L
Lights - 24 W T5 HO Osram on aquazonic Hood
CO2 - Pressurized
Filter - CANISTER SUNSUN 603B & 1 Internal Filter
Fert - NOT YET DECIDED NEED YOR SUGGESTION
Flora is given in the photo as planning.

Guys please suggest and criticize.

RAHUL, RAJAN, SANAM, ACHINTYA, TIRTHA DA, ABHIROOP and all the members please suggest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vikramdutta on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM

Postby rahul » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:53 am

remove those rocks.those dont go well in planted tanks as far looks are concerned.looks horrible when some round sauropod dinosaur eggs are put in planted tanks.if you cant get rocks no need to.
create an elevation from front to back and specially on left.
remove any cosmetics or perfume etc from the table.make sure you have only stuffs related to the tank around.morever some plants are susceptible to these chemicals.

am not a expert in scaping but want to say that if this is your first planted tank,try to concentrate on growth.make sure you keep up with the maintenance.forget about scaping as its tough to get something with these and that too from a first timer.To me just throwing in a bunch of woods and rocks dont make a scape.scaping is an art.we should not spoil or insult it.
rahul

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:05 am

rahul wrote:remove those rocks.those dont go well in planted tanks as far looks are concerned.looks horrible when some round sauropod dinosaur eggs are put in planted tanks.if you cant get rocks no need to.
create an elevation from front to back and specially on left.
remove any cosmetics or perfume etc from the table.make sure you have only stuffs related to the tank around.morever some plants are susceptible to these chemicals.

am not a expert in scaping but want to say that if this is your first planted tank,try to concentrate on growth.make sure you keep up with the maintenance.forget about scaping as its tough to get something with these and that too from a first timer.To me just throwing in a bunch of woods and rocks dont make a scape.scaping is an art.we should not spoil or insult it.

Yes Boss You R right, what about plants, please suggest.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:24 am

From a beginner, a couple of plant suggestions.
I had good luck with a EL dosed mini tank with the following species:
Bacopa Caroliana
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Even my Staurogyne Repens seems to be doing well.
All are from tissue cultured stock available at Ripples, which is a place you are familiar with I guess :)
The reason I recommend these is that the growth is visible and gives a beginner a lot of enjoyment. Plus, they are lovely plants :)
The BC in my tank has to be trimmed weekly and the HM is so thick that the tetras get stuck in them :)
Good luck with your project.
One last word, it is your tank. Enjoy it the way you like it and want it. There is always time for higher level stuff once you come to grips with what is needed. :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pulsarabhi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:29 am

That is one lovely tank !!! Also good to know you have got the best equipments for your setup. I am a beginner too and not sure how useful my inputs would be, but here are my 2 cents:
- the two different drift woods look a little out of place because of different colors... May be you should use just one
- I would agree with Rahul on the rocks, but if you decide to cover them with ferns or moss, I think they'll look better compared to being bare
- Again like Rahul pointed out, if you don't have experience with planted tanks, its best you focus on growth first than jump into escaping. Trust me, I have been in this route before and its very disheartening if you fail. Ignore this if you are already well versed with plant needs
- I would say use just a fraction of that ada, and replace rest with river sand, and understand how plants grow and what all is needed to keep them healthy

Wish you best luck :)
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:41 am

Sumit K Sen wrote:From a beginner, a couple of plant suggestions.
I had good luck with a EL dosed mini tank with the following species:
Bacopa Caroliana
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Even my Staurogyne Repens seems to be doing well.
All are from tissue cultured stock available at Ripples, which is a place you are familiar with I guess :)
The reason I recommend these is that the growth is visible and gives a beginner a lot of enjoyment. Plus, they are lovely plants :)
The BC in my tank has to be trimmed weekly and the HM is so thick that the tetras get stuck in them :)
Good luck with your project.
One last word, it is your tank. Enjoy it the way you like it and want it. There is always time for higher level stuff once you come to grips with what is needed. :)

Thanks for ur valuable suggestions, I have just planned the plants not finalized, I'll finalize after all inputs I get.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:56 am

You are welcome.
A small point. I think you may be 3 - 5 ltrs short on substrate. A tank of this dimension with 5 cm depth of substrate would need 12 ltrs of soil. More if you have a slope. You might find poor growth in the front because the carpet plants will not be able to root deeply. My 2 cents :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 am

pulsarabhi wrote:That is one lovely tank !!! Also good to know you have got the best equipments for your setup. I am a beginner too and not sure how useful my inputs would be, but here are my 2 cents:
- the two different drift woods look a little out of place because of different colors... May be you should use just one
- I would agree with Rahul on the rocks, but if you decide to cover them with ferns or moss, I think they'll look better compared to being bare
- Again like Rahul pointed out, if you don't have experience with planted tanks, its best you focus on growth first than jump into escaping. Trust me, I have been in this route before and its very disheartening if you fail. Ignore this if you are already well versed with plant needs
- I would say use just a fraction of that ada, and replace rest with river sand, and understand how plants grow and what all is needed to keep them healthy

Wish you best luck :)

Thank u very much for the suggestions, but :

the two different drift woods look a little out of place because of different colors... May be you should use just one

I have placed these woods and rocks in the tank to show u all that I have these stuffs and what should I use or not. This is not the scape or something like that.
There is a saying that "Aap Ruchi Khana Aur Par Ruchi Pahenna", (Eat as per your taste & Wear as per others taste) looking good just in my eyes is not everything, When others will say it is good then only it'll satisfy me.

I think u did not read the heading its " FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM", so plant is first then scaping which is secondary.

:-? Point to be noted.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:01 am

Sumit K Sen wrote:You are welcome.
A small point. I think you may be 3 - 5 ltrs short on substrate. A tank of this dimension with 5 cm depth of substrate would need 12 ltrs of soil. More if you have a slope. You might find poor growth in the front because the carpet plants will not be able to root deeply. My 2 cents :)

Yes I Know, Thought on buying half bag of Amazonia, but my bad luck. I think I hav to invest some more in the substrate.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Sumit K Sen wrote:You might find poor growth in the front because the carpet plants will not be able to root deeply. My 2 cents :)

i m not experienced with carpeting plants, so would like to know the min depth reqd for carpeting plants.

vikramdutta wrote:... and will require you peoples help to make the tank a success.

Please define success in ur terms.

vikramdutta wrote:There is a saying that "Aap Ruchi Khana Aur Par Ruchi Pahenna", (Eat as per your taste & Wear as per others taste) looking good just in my eyes is not everything, When others will say it is good then only it'll satisfy me.

Absolutely incorrect approach imo. I do tank for my satisfaction and not wait for others' opinion. If i always think of what other will say wen they get to see the tank, dat will b the end of it. coz dat thought in ur mind wont allow to take the risks that are necessary for the big leaps. That said, it not that I dont listen to others and seniors. the difference is I dont wait for their inputs to make a decision. I do my research and move on.

Dada, I am sorry to say but I am not seeing the "Zeal to learn" in you. You need to look at the hobby from a different angle perhaps.

pulsarabhi wrote:the two different drift woods look a little out of place because of different colors... May be you should use just one

color of woods become same wen kept in water for some days...
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Next

Return to Planted Tank Discussion