FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - War Against Algae

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby Tirtha » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:19 pm

Lovely start Vikram. Will look forward to see it filling up. I envy those healthy HM you have got there :D

A small input. if possible, plant more grass. There is a lot of empty space and under high light, it will attract a load of algae otherwise.

From the planting view, you could have plan the stems species wise in groups giving a space in between. Otherwise once they will grow up, it will be jumbled up all together.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
User avatar
Tirtha
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4251
Images: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am
Location: Hyderabad
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby vikramdutta » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:26 am

Tirtha wrote:Lovely start Vikram. Will look forward to see it filling up. I envy those healthy HM you have got there :D

A small input. if possible, plant more grass. There is a lot of empty space and under high light, it will attract a load of algae otherwise.

From the planting view, you could have plan the stems species wise in groups giving a space in between. Otherwise once they will grow up, it will be jumbled up all together.


Thank you Dada for your valuable suggestions, if you want HM I can send you the tissue cultured one from here.

Regarding algal blooms, yesterday I had to spend the whole day and nite at office and forgot to switch off the light, today when I returned home there is algae attack. The Green algae. The open space is full. I am planning for a three days blackout. Pls suggest if any other alternate way is available.

Dada regarding planting actually I wanted to make the stems like really jungles bushy. So I planted them so closely. Anyway next time I'll take care and follow your suggestion.
User avatar
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby sreepadma » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:14 am

vikramdutta wrote:Regarding algal blooms, yesterday I had to spend the whole day and nite at office and forgot to switch off the light, today when I returned home there is algae attack. The Green algae. The open space is full. I am planning for a three days blackout. Pls suggest if any other alternate way is available.

Dada regarding planting actually I wanted to make the stems like really jungles bushy. So I planted them so closely. Anyway next time I'll take care and follow your suggestion.


Algae could be because of high light without adequate N, try dosing KNO3. Have you started dosing? Anubias shows severe macro deficiency.
User avatar
sreepadma
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:59 am

sreepadma wrote:Algae could be because of high light without adequate N, try dosing KNO3. Have you started dosing? Anubias shows severe macro deficiency.

Yellowing of Anubias does make a indication that there might be N deficiency. but the thing that is puzzling me is its brand new Amazonia and is known to leach a hell lot of nutrients. so, dont you think there might be excess of NO3 and may be NH3 that might be causing the algae and for the yellow leaf of Anu, m confused?
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
User avatar
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic
 
Posts: 2437
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby sreepadma » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:33 pm

SanamMarik wrote: Yellowing of Anubias does make a indication that there might be N deficiency. but the thing that is puzzling me is its brand new Amazonia and is known to leach a hell lot of nutrients. so, dont you think there might be excess of NO3 and may be NH3 that might be causing the algae and for the yellow leaf of Anu, m confused?


Yes, you could be also be right. NH4 spike induce algae. The spike could probably be because nitrifying cycle is not established. However NH4 spike does not cause yellowing leaves!!
User avatar
sreepadma
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby vikramdutta » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:08 pm

sreepadma wrote:
vikramdutta wrote:Regarding algal blooms, yesterday I had to spend the whole day and nite at office and forgot to switch off the light, today when I returned home there is algae attack. The Green algae. The open space is full. I am planning for a three days blackout. Pls suggest if any other alternate way is available.

Dada regarding planting actually I wanted to make the stems like really jungles bushy. So I planted them so closely. Anyway next time I'll take care and follow your suggestion.


Algae could be because of high light without adequate N, try dosing KNO3. Have you started dosing? Anubias shows severe macro deficiency.

No not yet have started 3days blackout then I'll start dosing.
User avatar
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby vikramdutta » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:15 pm

sreepadma wrote:
SanamMarik wrote: Yellowing of Anubias does make a indication that there might be N deficiency. but the thing that is puzzling me is its brand new Amazonia and is known to leach a hell lot of nutrients. so, dont you think there might be excess of NO3 and may be NH3 that might be causing the algae and for the yellow leaf of Anu, m confused?


Yes, you could be also be right. NH4 spike induce algae. The spike could probably be because nitrifying cycle is not established. However NH4 spike does not cause yellowing leaves!!


Now I'm getting confused. What should I do? Anyone please tell me.
User avatar
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby rahul » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:42 pm

normally settled anubius leaves takes over year to get yellow.i would suggest to remove those old ones and prevent rotting which may affect the entire plant if not taken care of.
switch to EI soon.
User avatar
rahul
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3872
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby vikramdutta » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:56 am

rahul wrote:normally settled anubius leaves takes over year to get yellow.i would suggest to remove those old ones and prevent rotting which may affect the entire plant if not taken care of.
switch to EI soon.

Done, Rahul pls confirm if the recipe of the EI is OK as I mentioned earlier. I'll be going to buy those day after tomorrow.
User avatar
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 12:18 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: FINALLY STARTING MY PLANTED AQUARIUM - Journey of 14 day

Postby suvrajit » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 pm

See Ei dosing calculator
Achintya had one thread, as far as I can remember
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
User avatar
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 499
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:37 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 11 times

PreviousNext

Return to Planted Tank Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest