Platinum Soil Review

Discuss anything related to aquatic plants and aquascaping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Platinum Soil Review

Postby xarg0n » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Longterm usability is good but you will have to become restricted with choice of plants..root feeders will suffer anyway.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Roots feeders like??
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby el batty » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm

bulb/rosette type plants!
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Hmmm...aren't those v less compared to stems? Anyways, i am into stems mostly nd aiming at a dutch scape, so i just need roots to b healthy if nt great. Nutrition i can provide well thru lab ferts. Fr dutch i hav to perform frequent uprooting nd planting, and if the substrate doesnt disintegrate, dat will b of great help. :)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby xarg0n » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Sounds like mother earth talking :p
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm

Lol =)) =)) =)) =))
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby mr_feynman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:17 pm

xarg0n wrote:Sounds like mother earth talking :p

=)) =)) =))
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby rahul » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:33 am

xarg0n wrote:Ada does not reccommend anything excpet K for first couple of months I think. Kalyan can tell better though.

not exactly.in addition to brighty K, they recommend step 1.and if you dont go through that deficiency is a sure shot as ADA ferts are so dilute.

As I told before a soil which disintegrates has better capability for growing plants.

it screws up even more.compaction occurs and the sub is rendered anaerobic which is not a good thing.the normal bacterial colony is replaced by harmful and many more.

Disintegration depends on humus content which is nothing but bioavailable nitrogen. More humus the soil, faster it will be disintregated. But again the high nitrogen content helps in rapid growth. So if these soils can be premixed with something which supports the root propagation properly, is the best combination. On the other hand substrates (i used this term purposefully) which claim less or no disintegration have very little humic content or nitrogen. These may not provide satisfactory results for long. Rooted plants like crypts or echinodorus are good for testing such substrates.

if that was the case people would have used rich loamy garden soil instead of commercial subs.
most of that nitrogen is rendered useless contributing to ammo spikes and many other nitrogen which contributes more to algae.
if you are talking about bioavaialble nitrogen then it doesn't mean its just present in humus.

i am giving you an example.seachem fluorite has nothing.right??you put in some swords and crypts and see how long it lasts.remember in the pre amazonia era amano used some sort of gravel (i mean just gravel) and it neither had humus or any 'japani tel'.and yet he created breathtaking tanks with luxuriant growth.And it lasted for years.he had many root monsters over there.
there are specific compounds of nitrogen which helps..you make a shallow pond whose base layer is made of good amount of humus,you will find luxuriant growth of echinodorus and crypts .why???because they come from that kind of waters.
And theres little to support of how those leached substances help in plant growth.other than softening the water.

and after some six months or so ,tthe substrate will have enough of sludge or fish poop residues to beat even the richest soil on earth. ;) but see if it can support anything other than some nasty microbes.swords and crypts in fact will thrive in it too because they are bullet proof.

ANd its true that recently the aquasoil is really leaching heavily loads and loads of ammonia even after a month or two.

If you want to understand how good a soil is first 1 month you should run without dosing.

i think we are doing a hobby over here.we are not trying to ensure the quality or experiment over here.the person wants to grow plants and i dont think he is in a mood to experiment with just soil and at the end end up with holes in the leaves and blah blah blah.dont be surprised if that manifests within a week of start. he wants results and we all want it.

I might nt rely on only subs. Dosing will b there. So, will it b justifyable?

thats the way to proceed no matter what somebody says..

REMEMBER WE ARE GROWING AQUATIC PLANTS OVER HERE.OUR TANK IS NOT A PADDY FIELD WHERE YOU CAN ADD AS MUCH AMMONIUM AS POSSIBLE,AS MUCH ORGANIC NITROGEN AS POSSIBLE.KNO3 still rules the nitrigen industry when it comes to planted tank ferts.you may experiment like adding your own urine to your tank but at your own risk. =)) =))
rahul

Postby rahul » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:46 am

let me now categorise some commercial subs available now-a-days
A-inert like fluorite ,laterite ,soilrite etc which mostly depend on CEC,although they have no nutrition on its own.They dont affect water quality either.

B- Rich like aquasoil,platinum,contro and many more not so popular in market(something new cropping up every year).to be honest these are basically baked natural soil and japan has large scale manufacturing plants for these.remember the nitrogen and phosphorus content of the soils used here are way higher than indian soils which is poor in NP and some even claim that these are 9L OR 10 KG bag of pelleted dirt.anyways these do serve the purpose of luxuriant plant growing all over the world and are a first choice of aquarists.

c-volcanic clay-fluval and brightwell aquatics have come up with it in recent years and it has shown to have negligible organics and more of minerals.its availability around the world is limited and not as promoted widely like the rich aquasoils.currently i am using it as it suits my way.
rahul

Postby abhirup » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:27 am

rahul wrote:
xarg0n wrote:Ada does not reccommend anything excpet K for first couple of months I think. Kalyan can tell better though.

not exactly.in addition to brighty K, they recommend step 1.and if you dont go through that deficiency is a sure shot as ADA ferts are so dilute.

As I told before a soil which disintegrates has better capability for growing plants.

it screws up even more.compaction occurs and the sub is rendered anaerobic which is not a good thing.the normal bacterial colony is replaced by harmful and many more.

Disintegration depends on humus content which is nothing but bioavailable nitrogen. More humus the soil, faster it will be disintregated. But again the high nitrogen content helps in rapid growth. So if these soils can be premixed with something which supports the root propagation properly, is the best combination. On the other hand substrates (i used this term purposefully) which claim less or no disintegration have very little humic content or nitrogen. These may not provide satisfactory results for long. Rooted plants like crypts or echinodorus are good for testing such substrates.

if that was the case people would have used rich loamy garden soil instead of commercial subs.
most of that nitrogen is rendered useless contributing to ammo spikes and many other nitrogen which contributes more to algae.
if you are talking about bioavaialble nitrogen then it doesn't mean its just present in humus.

i am giving you an example.seachem fluorite has nothing.right??you put in some swords and crypts and see how long it lasts.remember in the pre amazonia era amano used some sort of gravel (i mean just gravel) and it neither had humus or any 'japani tel'.and yet he created breathtaking tanks with luxuriant growth.And it lasted for years.he had many root monsters over there.
there are specific compounds of nitrogen which helps..you make a shallow pond whose base layer is made of good amount of humus,you will find luxuriant growth of echinodorus and crypts .why???because they come from that kind of waters.
And theres little to support of how those leached substances help in plant growth.other than softening the water.

and after some six months or so ,tthe substrate will have enough of sludge or fish poop residues to beat even the richest soil on earth. ;) but see if it can support anything other than some nasty microbes.swords and crypts in fact will thrive in it too because they are bullet proof.

ANd its true that recently the aquasoil is really leaching heavily loads and loads of ammonia even after a month or two.

If you want to understand how good a soil is first 1 month you should run without dosing.

i think we are doing a hobby over here.we are not trying to ensure the quality or experiment over here.the person wants to grow plants and i dont think he is in a mood to experiment with just soil and at the end end up with holes in the leaves and blah blah blah.dont be surprised if that manifests within a week of start. he wants results and we all want it.

I might nt rely on only subs. Dosing will b there. So, will it b justifyable?

thats the way to proceed no matter what somebody says..

REMEMBER WE ARE GROWING AQUATIC PLANTS OVER HERE.OUR TANK IS NOT A PADDY FIELD WHERE YOU CAN ADD AS MUCH AMMONIUM AS POSSIBLE,AS MUCH ORGANIC NITROGEN AS POSSIBLE.KNO3 still rules the nitrigen industry when it comes to planted tank ferts.you may experiment like adding your own urine to your tank but at your own risk. =)) =))

+1
:-bd
abhirup
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Planted Tank Discussion