Citric Acid Reactor Consistency

Your plants need them
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Citric Acid Reactor Consistency

Postby Rohan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:01 pm

Many of us are using the citric acid and soda co2 reactor. I am also also running a setup for past 2-3 days and observed some points from which I concluded that the output is controllable but not constant. I may be wrong but I need other's observations and advices to make this setup even better.

My logic as well was practical observations:

1. Bottle A is mixed with 200gms citric acid and 600ml water. Bottle B is mixed with 200gms soda and 200ml water.
2. After adding all the equipments and keeping the needle valve or ball valve closed, we need to squeeze the bottle A and citric acid flows into bottle B containing soda. As soon as both of them react co2 is produced and some amount of co2 or soda mixture(CORRECT ME HERE,WHETHER IS IT CO2 OR SODA THAT BACKFLOWS) flows back to bottle A. Pressure in both the bottles increases and i think pressure in bottle A is a bit higher than that of bottle B(CORRECT AGAIN IF ITS INCORRECT). Now we can open the needle or ball valve when the pressure reaches 15-20 PSI or 1-1.5 kg/cm3.
3. As soon as we open the co2 flows from bottle B to tank and we can adjust the bps with needle valve.
4. Now after some time when co2 production slowly depletes in bottle B(CORRECT WHETHER CO2 PRODUCTIONS GRADUALLY DECREASES WITH TIME) the output will keep on decreasing and due to this decrease in pressure in bottle B citric acid flows from bottle A to B to make adjustments in pressures. And as soon as the citric again reacts with soda, co2 produces and the output slowly increases.

Now here's my point. At some point of time output starts decreasing and then again it will increase. Therefore a fluctuation on co2 output and thereby not consistent.

What you guys think of this?
Rohan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Citric Acid Reactor Consistency

Postby Rohan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 pm

@debrajsahu @aquarajan @nilotpal @prasad @zhi
Rohan

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 pm

Here is a scientific pic of my running setups. Note the Length of Pipes inside the bottles used ... :)
Citric_Reactor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Rohan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Interestin!! What would the length effect in this setup bro?
Rohan

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:50 pm

in soda bottle-the soda should not go anywhere else. :)
Citric bottle- citric shouldnt get into the gauge and long pipe for max time btwn the refilling.
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Rohan » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:54 pm

So short pipe will prevent the back siphoning of soda into citric bottle, correct? ;)
Rohan

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm

yup ;)
Sanam Marik
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby zhi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 am

I am also still in the process of figuring out and tinkering. I am using the D301 model from banggood.

1st attempt... baking soda 200 gm+water 200ml & citric acid 200 gm plus 400ml. Somehow all citric acid in flowed into soda bottle. and psi reached 80 and it freaked me out. I think it was due to the vibrational pressure put on the co2 pipe by the air pump.

2nd attempt soda 100gm plus 200ml water and citric acid 100gm plus 200ml water. worked fine for a 1 week den suddenly i come back home and saw that again all citric acid flowed into baking soda but psi was normal and still the setup worked fine for 3 weeks at 1 bubble per 5~7 seconds at 20psi.

3rd attempt- same setup as 2nd.... working fine so far... i think it has found its equilibrium. CO2 flow is constant.

I am not sure if the citric acid pipe dipping into the baking soda pipe would cause any back flow since pressure reduces in the baking soda bottle as co2 flows into the tank and as citric acid bottle has higher pressure it pushes citric acid into baking soda bottle. But initially i think it's the air plus co2 that can be seen to be flowing back into the citric acid bottle.
~ life is what you make it...
zhi
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Rohan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:44 pm

zhi wrote:I am also still in the process of figuring out and tinkering. I am using the D301 model from banggood.

1st attempt... baking soda 200 gm+water 200ml & citric acid 200 gm plus 400ml. Somehow all citric acid in flowed into soda bottle. and psi reached 80 and it freaked me out. I think it was due to the vibrational pressure put on the co2 pipe by the air pump.

2nd attempt soda 100gm plus 200ml water and citric acid 100gm plus 200ml water. worked fine for a 1 week den suddenly i come back home and saw that again all citric acid flowed into baking soda but psi was normal and still the setup worked fine for 3 weeks at 1 bubble per 5~7 seconds at 20psi.

3rd attempt- same setup as 2nd.... working fine so far... i think it has found its equilibrium. CO2 flow is constant.

I am not sure if the citric acid pipe dipping into the baking soda pipe would cause any back flow since pressure reduces in the baking soda bottle as co2 flows into the tank and as citric acid bottle has higher pressure it pushes citric acid into baking soda bottle. But initially i think it's the air plus co2 that can be seen to be flowing back into the citric acid bottle.

More the water you add slower will be the reaction and it will last more as per the theory. Next time try 200gms citric in 600ml water and 200gms soda in 150-200ml water. Keep us updated.
Rohan

Postby Rohan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:46 pm

As per the consistency is concerned, my latest setup achieved it. There was leak but not sure where due to which the output varied.
Rohan

Next

Return to CO2 and Fertilizers