Great Expectations

Document the life cycle of your planted tank in details step by step
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Great Expectations

Postby edluhar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:22 am

After ten to fifteen years of cumulative "fish" keeping experience planned to shift to the revered plantedtank
Anyhow I don't like to create too many threads to ask questions so kept on reading what was there already. On an average each issue has been addressed at least three times in KAC. I feel that a few more stickies would have been more helpful
So getting back to the journal I decided to go all out in this effort
Tank details: 4x1.5x1.8
Stand: slotted angle bar, have to cover it with something more decent in the recent future to give it an aesthetic look
Substrate: vermicompost and potting soil from horticulture. Good stuff I guess as I got a bill for potting soil :lol:
Riverbed coarse sand on top. Cannot find this anywhere in Calcutta other than galiff.
Stones and Malaysian bogwood from various places like sealdah and splashing meadows.
I believe various famous LFS's are kind of charging too much in the name of KAC
One even went and quoted that all KACians use XYZ substrate
I was shocked hearing this... It is like when you go to buy a TV ... They ask you where you stay and then quote that everyone staying there takes this model;)
Found out this shop in sealdah gole or kole market. stockist basically doesn't vend too much. Somehow struck a chord with him and he took me to his godown.
Picked up the bog wood from there.
You know traditional Bengali bene family
They are more interested in their princely temper ( Bengali's read as babuana) and screw business. That is if he is interested then only he will vend stuff to you.
So
Tank costed me 4k with traditional hood - 8 mm glass ( yes I have tana)
Stand - 3.5k ( apparently can take load up to a tonne)
Substrate stones and blood wood ~ 2 k give or take a couple hundred
Being a so so photographer knew some laws about golden ratio rule of thirds etc and after reading up iwagumi setup( did I spell it right) I did this.........
1425878369287.jpg

All criticism and suggestions are most welcome
The two other stones which don't follow the stone setup style were put by my father
Ours a very joint family
Grandmother, father, mother, wife, self
So tooooooooo many opinions
Bad in some ways good in most!!!
More later

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Great Expectations

Postby edluhar » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:35 pm

Bump guys some ideas please

Also this is my hood
IMG_20150309_215741.jpg

How can I improvise some reflector sheets on it?
Please help guys, experts, mods!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby rahul » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm

i am not a a good advisor when it comes to scapes but here i think the rocks look odd without any texture.Also one is white which may affect things a bit. i think whenever you cant afford branded rocks ER rocks may help a lot. some do have good shape and textures if you can search for.recently ADA relased new rocks looking exactly like railway rocks.
the wood is good but one is too small for a tank of that size.

but anyways what plants are you trying to put?remember a tank looks much better and different if you have healthy plant growth even when scapes look odd.
rahul

Postby el batty » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 pm

its hard to comment without knowing the plantlist.
depending on your list, this particular scape can be seen as a beauty while a wrong combination of plants can make it so so....
your plans on CO2
Also, wont it be warmer as its beside a fridge?
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby xarg0n » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:13 pm

rahul wrote:recently ADA relased new rocks looking exactly like railway rocks.

:D:D:D:D
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby Aquarist » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:50 am

edluhar wrote:I believe various famous LFS's are kind of charging too much in the name of KAC

In my perspective this is very true... :(
Aquarist
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby edluhar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:46 am

rahul wrote:i am not a a good advisor when it comes to scapes but here i think the rocks look odd without any texture.Also one is white which may affect things a bit. i think whenever you cant afford branded rocks ER rocks may help a lot. some do have good shape and textures if you can search for.recently ADA relased new rocks looking exactly like railway rocks.
the wood is good but one is too small for a tank of that size.

but anyways what plants are you trying to put?remember a tank looks much better and different if you have healthy plant growth even when scapes look odd.

Well said Rahul
Where can I get eastern railway rocks. IMO rails lie on shuttering wood which on stone chips?
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby edluhar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 am

el batty wrote:its hard to comment without knowing the plantlist.
depending on your list, this particular scape can be seen as a beauty while a wrong combination of plants can make it so so....
your plans on CO2
Also, wont it be warmer as its beside a fridge?

Hi batty
Thanks for your comments. I will continue and answer all your questions in the next part of my journal
Regarding fridge yes yes it will be warmer but I wanted to place the aquarium in such a way in the drawing room that it has a good view and adds perspective to the room
I will see if I can afford or make a chiller not this season but the next.
Actually speaking it is very DIYable. Get hold of a fridge mechanic and build a sort of canister filter with the evaporator coils inside. These days we get car beer chiller for a few thousand which also can be looked into
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby kumar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:08 am

Well they were my fav childhood stars "Pip and Estella" :x

My expertise ends there, nice title. Only concern is the stand, slotted angle is one of the worst investment in this hobby, be careful with it.
And you have such captivating writing skills, sp unlike other guys here, hoping you ll update your journal weekly.

Thank you. \m/
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sahajaydip » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:02 am

Its seems to be a good Journal. One question- what you have planned low tech or high tech ?
Thanks
Jaydip

'If you're going through hell, keep going'.

Mytank- http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5342
sahajaydip
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Journals