Great Expectations

Document the life cycle of your planted tank in details step by step
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Great Expectations

Postby edluhar » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:24 am

A pic of the algae
1446192740997-800x600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby Tirtha » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:31 pm

Too much light
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby sreepadma » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:14 am

1. You may have to place the filter outlet on the side with a spray bar where the flow goes from left to right or right to left through the entire length. Try placing outlet and inlet on the same side.
2. Need to up your macros. The old leaves falling off or melting are clogging your wave maker. While doing weekly maintenance, snip off as many old, dead, yellow, melting leaves as you can.
3. Try an inline ceramic diffuser. Less clutter inside tank and more CO2 diffusion. You can even DIY an inline diffuser.
4. Riccia can be a pest if not handled properly. Monte carlo or E parvula are good substitutes.
5. Diatoms!! You need to do frequent water changes and keep filter clean. Diatoms usually go off on their own after a while with frequent water chages however if it continues you could add some phosphate remover with your filter media. Phosphate remover uses Aluminium Oxides which binds silica in water and remove diatoms ( caused by excess silica).
sreepadma
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby edluhar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:29 am

Tirtha wrote:Too much light

Tirthada
I have one 36 W LED, 2 x 54 W T5( one day(10000k) , one red
Photo period about six hours
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:03 am

too less plants on Amazonia with high lights.. Amazonia needs you to densely plant .. any bare gravel will call for algae!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby edluhar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:32 am

mithun wrote:too less plants on Amazonia with high lights.. Amazonia needs you to densely plant .. any bare gravel will call for algae!

Thanks Mithun
I am trying to start the fore ground plants very soon. Was struggling with keeping plants alive so far.. But now am kind of 6-8 months experience... So hope for better results ... Amen :D
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby edluhar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:50 pm

sreepadma wrote:1. You may have to place the filter outlet on the side with a spray bar where the flow goes from left to right or right to left through the entire length. Try placing outlet and inlet on the same side.
2. Need to up your macros. The old leaves falling off or melting are clogging your wave maker. While doing weekly maintenance, snip off as many old, dead, yellow, melting leaves as you can.
3. Try an inline ceramic diffuser. Less clutter inside tank and more CO2 diffusion. You can even DIY an inline diffuser.
4. Riccia can be a pest if not handled properly. Monte carlo or E parvula are good substitutes.
5. Diatoms!! You need to do frequent water changes and keep filter clean. Diatoms usually go off on their own after a while with frequent water chages however if it continues you could add some phosphate remover with your filter media. Phosphate remover uses Aluminium Oxides which binds silica in water and remove diatoms ( caused by excess silica).

Hi Vincent
1. Used the spray bar, already showing a difference
And placed the inlet outlet on the same side. Can you explain how does that help
2. Inline ceramic diffuser is what I will look for now, in Kolkata we are not as blessed as you guys from down south. Everyone's a reseller, hardly any stockist... Like kolathur etc
3. Riccia - what problems do we face?
4. Phosphate remover - can you give me some other name available in stores
5. The TDS of the supply water out here is around 850-1000... Is there anyways to reduce it that you know of?

Regards, as ever
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sreepadma » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:52 pm

edluhar wrote:Hi Vincent
1. Used the spray bar, already showing a difference
And placed the inlet outlet on the same side. Can you explain how does that help
2. Inline ceramic diffuser is what I will look for now, in Kolkata we are not as blessed as you guys from down south. Everyone's a reseller, hardly any stockist... Like kolathur etc
3. Riccia - what problems do we face?
4. Phosphate remover - can you give me some other name available in stores
5. The TDS of the supply water out here is around 850-1000... Is there anyways to reduce it that you know of?

Regards, as ever

1. It creates a circular flow and all the nooks and corners will be covered.
2. For inline diffuser try aquanatureonline.com or you could easily DIY one.
3. Grows very fast and when the bottom part gets old it breaks off and it starts floating. Once riccia gets attached to moss and other plants, its going to be difficult to remove.
4. API Phos Zorb
5. Have no idea, as i have never checked my water TDS however i have read that using RO water helps reduce TDS. Check with someone if peat works, if it does then it will be the best and cheapest option.
sreepadma
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Tirtha » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:27 pm

edluhar wrote:
Tirtha wrote:Too much light

Tirthada
I have one 36 W LED, 2 x 54 W T5( one day(10000k) , one red
Photo period about six hours

Still high light compare to the amount of plants you have. Take note of the points Vince mentioned above.

edluhar wrote:
mithun wrote:I am trying to start the fore ground plants very soon. Was struggling with keeping plants alive so far.. But now am kind of 6-8 months experience... So hope for better results ... Amen :D

Very bad idea and a recipe of disaster. Introduce as much of plants as possible at a go. EMI options only will screw things up more. The more open space on Aquasoil, more chances you will get algae.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
Tirtha
Admin
Admin

Postby edluhar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 am

Yesterday night there was a blackout. My Sunsun ext canister started leaking. Water in drawing room-->water touched some wire with a leak---> MCB tripped.
Imagine ... Now all my fella noobs and experts .. Where do I get a new o ring... Ns road.... Should I try silicone....
On board ships when we deal with an o ring emergency we use silicone..
edluhar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Journals