My first attempt at island-(update pg 7 new pics)

Document the life cycle of your planted tank in details step by step
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

My first attempt at island-(update pg 7 new pics)

Postby rahul » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

At a time when sand has become staple in planted tanks all over the globe, me too decided to try out something like that.although this effort is proving to be an amateur,the sole intention is to grow petites over here and not for any freaky contests.Everybody has a dream to own 1000 plus petites at one point of time ,so does I.This plant is just irresistible. :p note that all petites i have now have come from 5 pieces i bought. one of the clumps alreaady has 100 plus plants.had some lava rocks as well as some for moss platform.And lots of trimming of the mosses come in the next two months or even forever.cycling is almost over.diatoms are slowly starting to disappear owing to otos and yamatos working hard all day.mosses have started to grow new fronds.Some may say that i have given up on stems and gone to epiphytes.but i would say 'NO'. [-x stems are still my religion.And lets see how it turns out.I would call this 'isscape ' rather than a scape. =))

here are some pics:
1-first one......

IMG_3362.jpg

2- another one

IMG_3354.jpg

3-last and a bit closer. i know this crooked photo is not doing justice but anyways thats how my skills re.i am so full of shit.

IMG_3357.jpg

let me know what you people think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rahul

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: My first attempt at island--project iiiland

Postby Kalyan » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:59 pm

I love your island ISscape . Its really good to see this kinda scape and I can already see you dancing "Kaho Na Pyaar Hai" Instead of "Oh madhu" =)) Kidding :p . Happy to see that the diatoms have gone or else they look :ymsick: in white sand .
ImageImage
Kalyan
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 pm

your hard work is showing by the way you took time to place every single piece and that too with greenery...greatly executed. want to know if there is any substrate underneath the rocks or its all rocks only?
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby rahul » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Kalyan wrote:I love your island ISscape . Its really good to see this kinda scape and I can already see you dancing "Kaho Na Pyaar Hai" Instead of "Oh madhu" =)) Kidding :p . Happy to see that the diatoms have gone or else they look :ymsick: in white sand .

heavy maintenance regime is ahead.this is only the beginning.the toughest part lies ahead.and it will be foolish to jump and sing from now on.i dont want to end up like what happens due to some negligence. ;) dont know whether i will be able to or not.one mistake and tanks like these will go to hell.

SanamMarik wrote:your hard work is showing by the way you took time to place every single piece and that too with greenery...greatly executed. want to know if there is any substrate underneath the rocks or its all rocks only?

No its not entire rocks,theres fluval stratum at the back.have planted some stems there.also anubius have shown accelarated growth in the past incase of those with roots reaching the substrate.it does rely on substrate.
rahul

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Dont want to deviate this thread, but regarding feeding through roots, have you noticed any difference is growth pattern of anubias growth while -1) during summer days and roots in subs 2)during winter days, roots not in substrate

have you found similar growth patterns or different ?
what i am trying to say it -does anubias feed through roots in winter days too?
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby rahul » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:34 pm

SanamMarik wrote:Dont want to deviate this thread, but regarding feeding through roots, have you noticed any difference is growth pattern of anubias growth while -1) during summer days and roots in subs 2)during winter days, roots not in substrate

have you found similar growth patterns or different ?

yours questions are vague but still i try my best answering it.
we generally refer to rooted anubius when its well settled and has enough of it going into sub or tightly anchored to whatever it gets.i have so far noticed growth in general and not the way you asked.thats tough to observe.and my observations came in conditions when they were firmly rooted.growth slows down in too hot or too cold temps however but still it grows.thats the best i noticed .
and in winter as the fans get out of service the minimum temp i noticed is 20 C and there i have seen slowing of growth.but as spring approached there was growth spurt which slowed down as summer arrived.

the ideal temperature of growing anubius is 24-27ish.although it can do well in cooler and warmer waters both.
when it comes to temperature i have found it does best during spring and just before winter/end of autumn.

and i have seen best growth only when they are settled .many move the plant around .thats highly unfair for this plant.you may end up with a stunted with leaves folded and etc.thats the kind of anubius growth we see mostly around.

what i am trying to say it -does anubias feed through roots in winter days too?

the simple answer to this is-when a plant is rooted and is alive ,it has to do something with its roots.and if its growing somehow it does take from it.thats how simple it is.the logic says it all.
roots are not just anchoring structures.some minerals always do have tendency to diffuse through it.in winter growth slows down due to temperature and not due to less uptake.lower temp means lower metabolism.automaticaally it adjusts its nutrient requirement.but the uptake never stops.
and new roots are constantly being produced.even old roots when in the soil develop secondary and tertiary.

and if you pick up any established anubius from a well healthy tank you will be surprised to see its vast root system.just like pulling off an amaon sword but a little less than that.
rahul

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:48 am

The tank looks stunning :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby amitava » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:01 am

Fantastic work Rahul !!

Only one observation- Please clean the filter pipes.
Every morning I wakeup and look through the Forbes list of Richest people in the world. If I am not there I go to work.
amitava
Admin
Admin

Postby vikramdutta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 am

I dont have the eligibility to comment on the tank u r making, but I can say that it is a beautiful tank and will be grown to a stunning one. Waiting for the Final outcome. Can u please specify on the Flora, Fert Dosing, CO2 BPS, Filters and lights? More over will u please explain how to get rid of the Diatoms?
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sahajaydip » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:23 am

Awesome as usual. It will give more natural look once the steams of back ground grow.
Thanks
Jaydip

'If you're going through hell, keep going'.

Mytank- http://www.kolkata-aquarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5342
sahajaydip
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Journals