New 2 feeter planted

Document the life cycle of your planted tank in details step by step
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: New 2 feeter planted

Postby mithun » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:58 pm

The video embded feature isnt working.. here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvKm4IUgjzo
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby subhadeepdas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:04 pm

mithun wrote:The video embded feature isnt working.. here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvKm4IUgjzo

Thanks. But, it is too dark to see the details. If possible, please upload another at your convenient time so that the details can be seen.
Subhadeep
subhadeepdas
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:21 pm

the light setup pic is in previous post.. if i take vid with MH on, the top side will always come dark.. so took a still pic with MH off.
Mithun
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sumit K Sen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Enjoyed the video. Thanks. Where do you get a light fixture like that? Looks really great and must obviously be very suitable for a planted tank. Pardon my ignorance, I searched based on your description but did not make much headway :(
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Its a regular 70Watt MH fixture.. I have replaced the internal mirror reflector with a studded diamond reflector to minimize point source hard shadow problem..

Then i went to a grill & lathe shop and bent a iron rod in U shape and some rivets to fix the rack..

Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sumit K Sen » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Thanks so much. That is way beyond an old man's capability to undertake - but I can always stop to admire :)
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:27 am

Nice to see you back in the hobby Mithunda.. now I openly challenge You can not keep 6 altums alive for 1 year..not in whatsapp, in open forum. :D :D :ymdevil:

The light looks great, I want one. :x
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:37 am

mithun wrote:
vikramdutta wrote:Can u show how u made the beautiful tank?

I dont have pics for each step but i can give a few pointers..
  • Make sure glass is properly cut at right angels. not trapezium.
  • Machine polish the edges
  • Tape the edges using marking tape leaving the thin 6mm edges where the silicone will be applied
  • Apply silicone in one single thin line .. dont create a mess or break the line.. requires a steady hand (which i dont have) with a good silicone gun
  • Apply silicone and add one sheet at a time.. dont rub it on silicone.. gently and firmly push it in place and tape it to hold in place..
  • Remember adding more silicone does not help.. only effective silicone is the thin film that is between the two glass surface.. dont add any silicone outside the join.. it wont prevent leak much. So applying less actually gives more effectiveness in this case
  • Bottom panel edges require a little more silicone in the inner side of the tank to make sure its firm coz water pressure is max at bottom.. some like to add thin sheets of glass in the bottom for bigger tanks
  • Remove the marking tapes after 10 mins of attaching the glasses.. leave the holding tapes for longer.
  • If you have done it right your tank will be water ready in 4-6 hours after finishing.. if you are afraid leave it longer to cure.. specially for bigger tanks where u have added a lot of silicones .. inner layers take time to cure.
  • When the tank is cured use a sharp blade to cut off excess silicone from edges to give it a cleaner look

dev roy wrote:Dada, glass thickness and price?

6mm Saint gobain ultra clear.. Rs.70/Sqft total costed around 750 for glass.. Silicone: Rs.120 (20% used), Marking tape: Rs.20 (10% used)

subhadeepdas wrote:Lets see what surprise the DIY magician has now in his sleeves :) :) :) .

Well there are couple of tricks in my sleeve for this one as well.. wait n watch ;)

Tirtha wrote:so the Marine guy came back to grow the weeds. Lovely start. All the best.

I am not just a marine guy u know .. Just like bigger challenges more ;)

Thanks Bro for the details explained. After reading this no photo of the steps required. It is fabulously explained and image automatically was seen in my mind. Next time i'll make my own tank.

All d best for this new venture.

Cheers
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mithun » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:09 am

avik wrote:Nice to see you back in the hobby Mithunda.. now I openly challenge You can not keep 6 altums alive for 1 year..not in whatsapp, in open forum. :D :D :ymdevil:

Sorry boss, Keeping altums isn't a challenge.. they are pretty hardy species.. But sourcing them and budget is a big challenge! And no I don't take challenges which boasts money! May be when I am strikingly rich I will spend on them!
Mithun

mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby el batty » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:05 pm

what is your tentative plant list?
P.S: Why a 2'? Coz of the mh? :P
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

PreviousNext

Return to Journals