Urgently need to rehome Channa gachua

Talk about Indian Fishy diversity
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:15 pm

Okay guys, I have a couple of juvenile Channa gachua left over from a pairing attempt that didn't quite go according to plan. They are not a bonded pair and will sincerely attempt to kill each other if placed in the same tank. At the moment, I'm keeping one of them in an empty 5 gallon tank, and the other in a tiny goldfish bowl, but this is obviously not the ideal state of affairs, so I need someone to take them off my hands. I've spent the whole of last month looking for someone to take them in (I even posted an advert in the buy and sell section here), but to no avail. So now I'm at a point where I simply must dispose of these fish, (needless to say, keeping any fish, let alone a snakehead, in a bowl conforms to torture of the highest order), and I'm not sure how to go about it. I could try to return them to the native seller in Galiff whom I had originally procured them from, or I could release them into this lake near my residence which already has a natural population of these snakeheads. Left to my own, I'd prefer the latter, but only if you guys feel it's safe. Or is the risk of introducing diseases into the wild too great? Both fish seem perfectly healthy though.
Of course, the very best solution would be for a responsible fellow hobbyist to take them in. I'll be keeping them in their pitifully inadequate quarters for another month at the most, so if anyone feels they can provide either of the two, or preferably both, with a proper home; please let me know within that time. You'd be doing a great service both to me and the fishes themselves.
Thank you.
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Urgently need to rehome Channa gachua

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:06 am

Nt a good idea to release it in a lake, better give it to haldar from galiff
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby anupam mukherjee » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am

Can it be kept with tiger oscar 8"+ in a 50 gallon tank ? If yes then I can take 1.
Regards,
ANUPAM MUKHERJEE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fish for Fish
anupam mukherjee
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Only if you want a dead fish :P
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Abhirup.mecho wrote:Only if you want a dead fish :P

+1
The snakeheads I have are really young- only about 5 inches or so. Your oscar would completely destroy them. Even as adults it would be an incompatible mix.
The best way to keep a snakehead is on its own, or as part of a bonded pair. A 2 footer should be enough for this purpose. But if you must mix it with anything else, make sure that all tankmates are peaceful, non-aggressive fish that are too large to be considered prey. Dwarf snakeheads are easily bullied, and any aggressive tankmates will force the fish into hiding.
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:22 pm

Abhirup.mecho wrote:Nt a good idea to release it in a lake, better give it to haldar from galiff

Ok then, I'll hold on to the snakeheads for another month or so, and if I can't find a taker by that time, I'll return them to galiff.
Just a curious question though- if releasing captive fishes into the wild is too much of a risk, even within their native range, then how do captive breeding programs work? Shouldn't the same problems be associated with them as well?
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Abhirup.mecho » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Certainly there are but they do check the released fish for pathogens. They have 1000s of fish to even dissect and check. Maybe your fish poses no harm to fishes in the wild but then again why take the risk. Moreover its better not to culture such a habit, who knows when the newbie down the block takes his breeding pair of convicts and gets inspired to follow the same route.
Abhirup.mecho
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Alright, I get your point.
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Here's a picture of the guy in the 5 gallon. Doesn't seem too happy with his current home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ProudToBeIndian » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 pm

On the other hand, this is the guy in my main tank:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ProudToBeIndian
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Next

Return to Indian Native Fishes