My first experience with betta breeding.

Discuss anything and everything about Anabantidae here

Re: My first experience with betta breeding.

Postby KarthikC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:57 pm

Yes natural selection is good and it's fun to watch their behaviour too. So much coordination. And once the male decides that he like a particular female more, he chases around her like anything. Hehe.

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby KarthikC » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Can you spot the fry :)

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:51 pm

spotted right away!!!
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby KarthikC » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:25 pm

I tried breeding double tail betta. They successfully spawned and here's a video of the male guarding the fries and putting them back into the bubble nest. The fries have just hatched 3-4 hours back i think

[youtube]http://youtu.be/7vH-ZHZOpMQ[/youtube]

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby lukedias » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:39 pm

breeding betas are fairly easy. Keep the male and female separated possibly in two different aquariums side by side with some sort of paper or plastic in-between the two. This is so that they don't see each other every time and keep fairing and stressing out. Every day remove the paper/plastic and allow them to see each other for an hour or so and them block their views. if the male is mature he will start building a bubble nest after 4 or 5 days. The female will be ready for spawning only if her Ovi posture has swollen and easily visible. Its easy to identify this - the underside of the female will a white dot slightly bulging out. When u see this introduce the pair. They will not fight , and after an hour or so they will spawn every 5 to 10 min for the next 30 to 45 minutes. Each spawn is like a close embrace where the female will drops the fertilized eggs which the male then picks up with his mouth to put it in the nest. Once they stopping embracing each other and spawning stops remove the female immediately. The Male will kill her otherwise !

Couple of years back my friend got in the fish hobby and his first fish was a blue beta. He managed to do some research and successfully spawned his Betta with a female. His experience was limited as result none of the fry survived.

Razing the fries are a pain in the neck when it comes to Betta fries. Their incredible small size means BBS wont work. As far as i know green water will do the job. After raising the fries another problem surfaces that of separating each individual male betta. So if u ask me, Id say #its best to stay away from breeding Bettas. Its better to breed some type of small chiclid instead.
lukedias
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby KarthikC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:50 am

Stay away from breeding betta? :D no way bro. I enjoy the experience, no matter how "pain in the neck" they are.

First week, insuforia culture would do the job and from then on, micro worms and BBS would help. I don't like cichlid breeding and their fussy nature when they're at it. Once the betta are big enough, i share with nearby lfs or exchange it for something. Here's a pic of a month old VT male x HPMK female. There are totally about 11 survivors (others were eaten by a toad while they were eggs).

Cheers and thanks for your detailed write up.

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby suvrajit » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:11 pm

nice man
its always something exciting to breed fishes
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby KarthikC » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:54 pm

suvrajit wrote:nice man
its always something exciting to breed fishes

Very true dada.. Thanks :)

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby lukedias » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:11 am

KarthikC is good u documented the experience. When people know what their doing its fine. I just wanted to discourage people who want to breed fishes pure on a fun basis and have no knowledge of breeding or raising fry. That is a bit of animal cruelty in its self.. I wasn't intending any ill feeling towards you. If think its relle nice if get to see such breeding journals from different types of fish. Do update if any of the fry survived till juvenillehood...
lukedias
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby KarthikC » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:24 am

lukedias wrote:KarthikC is good u documented the experience. When people know what their doing its fine. I just wanted to discourage people who want to breed fishes pure on a fun basis and have no knowledge of breeding or raising fry. That is a bit of animal cruelty in its self.. I wasn't intending any ill feeling towards you. If think its relle nice if get to see such breeding journals from different types of fish. Do update if any of the fry survived till juvenillehood...

Sure. :) thanks

Cheers,

Karthik
Go green!
KarthikC
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

PreviousNext

Return to Betta Broadcast