Something wrong with my betta?

Discuss anything and everything about Anabantidae here

Something wrong with my betta?

Postby pulsarabhi » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:21 pm

I am seeing some scary looking holes on my betta's face (near eyes and mouth, see pic) that has got me concerned. Is this normal or something to act upon?

Health wise, the betta seems to be fine. It is active, eats well and constantly creates bubbles at the surface. I am a newbie to betta keeping and might be terribly wrong with my assessment of its health.

So please share your valuable thoughts. Thanks.

pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Something wrong with my betta?

Postby mithun » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:27 pm

whats your tank size and hows water change routine?
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 220Gal reef journal | My 150Gal reef journal
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby pulsarabhi » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Now this is the catch. This betta is in a 3ish liter bowl at the moment, which is sparsely planted with a twig and some java moss attached. I do 50% water change once in 2 days and feed the betta with optimum betta nutrition, 2-3 pellets at night. It gets 2 freeze dried blood worms on weekends. I am trying to regulate the temperature by having a 25w incandescent bulb nearby, running 24/7.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:59 pm

pulsarabhi wrote:Now this is the catch. This betta is in a 3ish liter bowl at the moment, which is sparsely planted with a twig and some java moss attached. I do 50% water change once in 2 days and feed the betta with optimum betta nutrition, 2-3 pellets at night. It gets 2 freeze dried blood worms on weekends. I am trying to regulate the temperature by having a 25w incandescent bulb nearby, running 24/7.

I did notice the spots when you shared the image in the gallery but did not know enough to comment.
I can only tell you that I feed my bettas Atison's Betta Pro pellets - 7 or 8 of them twice a day, with Sunday off. One finishes the meal in a minute and the other can be fussy, and may not eat everything on a given day. Food is removed once the betta moves away.
Net net, I think my food regime is substantially more than yours. Granted that mine live in heated 7.5 gallon tanks, but I was thinking deficiency in the case of your fish.
Betta experts will surely have the right answer.
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ambooz » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:06 pm

May be parasite ... Normally I use "seachem ParaGuard " which works for almost all the dieses . but wait for the expert advise , they will be able to pin point a solution .
ambooz
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby sabir » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

can you give the picture of the twig?
Bettas have the habit to swim through tight spaces. I hope it is not getting itself injured by the twig.
sabir
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby pulsarabhi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:21 am

Sumit K Sen wrote:
pulsarabhi wrote:Now this is the catch. This betta is in a 3ish liter bowl at the moment, which is sparsely planted with a twig and some java moss attached. I do 50% water change once in 2 days and feed the betta with optimum betta nutrition, 2-3 pellets at night. It gets 2 freeze dried blood worms on weekends. I am trying to regulate the temperature by having a 25w incandescent bulb nearby, running 24/7.

I did notice the spots when you shared the image in the gallery but did not know enough to comment.
I can only tell you that I feed my bettas Atison's Betta Pro pellets - 7 or 8 of them twice a day, with Sunday off. One finishes the meal in a minute and the other can be fussy, and may not eat everything on a given day. Food is removed once the betta moves away.
Net net, I think my food regime is substantially more than yours. Granted that mine live in heated 7.5 gallon tanks, but I was thinking deficiency in the case of your fish.
Betta experts will surely have the right answer.
Cheers!

Thanks so much, that simplifies things a lot for me. I was googling this yesterday and came across this "hole in the head" disease. And one of the possible causes was indeed malnutrition. I am planning to feed the Betta with tetrabits (which he loves) twice a day and up the water change to daily, going forward. Hope this will ease his suffering. My last resort would be some anti bacterial solution because parasites seem to be one possible cause too. I do want to mention though, I saw some posts where people claimed these holes are common in "dragon scale" bettas, which I have no idea if mine is. Will wait for more inputs from friends here.
ambooz wrote:May be parasite ... Normally I use "seachem ParaGuard " which works for almost all the dieses . but wait for the expert advise , they will be able to pin point a solution .

Thanks, that's very useful info. Looks like a very handy product to have for emergencies like this. Will try to learn more about this.
sabir wrote:can you give the picture of the twig?
Bettas have the habit to swim through tight spaces. I hope it is not getting itself injured by the twig.

Don't have a picture at the moment, but this twig is from a long dried up tulsi plant that I was hoping to use for scaping someday. I have checked it doesn't have edges sharp enough to have caused these holes but I can't be 100% sure. I guess its better I take it out for the time being, thanks a lot for pointing it out.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby george_betta » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:15 am

HITH or Hole in the head disease is what it looks like. Strange but this disease mainly attacks cichlids. I have never actually come across a betta with this disease.. Does your betta discharge any sort of mucus from the pittings around its face?? Is he sluggish? does he avoid food? What kind of water do you use. If you are from Kolkata, based on where you live, you should use bottled/jar water. Remove all water and refill, move the plants to another aquarium or jar to use as a holding area till the betta recovers. Use aquarium salt in the water where the betta is housed and increase the temp up to 26 degrees. If it is a parasite, it will manifest itself and then eventually fall off his body. During this phase, avoid overfeeding, monitor the betta to see if he is active. If he is, it is a good sign and will recover.

I am so hoping your plants are not what is causing this
george_betta
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Betta Broadcast