In Built Top Filter In Chinese Aquarium

Give a small introduction of yourself and your hobby so we can know you better
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

In Built Top Filter In Chinese Aquarium

Postby Priankush » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:51 am

Hi Guys ,

Really exited to be a part of this wonderful group.

Well to start with i am into the hobby for the past 4 years now . I have recently bought a RS120B ( 80G) tank of RS electrical from my LFS . It came with an inbuilt top filter where you need to put in the media as u like . The power head which is used to power the filtration system is a 1200lts/hrs one . Now most of the forums say the filtration should be 6 times the volume of the tank to be on the safer side . I am evaluating options such as canister filter , HOB etc with circulation upto 2000lts/hr . Kindly suggest or share your experience who is/has owned similar tank.
Priankush

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: In Built Top Filter In Chinese Aquarium

Postby bunty123 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:14 pm

basically i own one from sobo that is 50 litres...wat i did was that i cut out the top filter with knife (heating it on fire) and then i got extra open space and added my canister...you may also try it out or can add hob s appropriate for your tank...wish you luck.
Regards from Abhirup Bandopadhyay
3.3 gallon planted>ada amazonia>eheim 2211>pressurised co2
50 litre marine tank
bunty123
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Re: In Built Top Filter In Chinese Aquarium

Postby netherwinterknights » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:07 am

Top filter is limited by the media you can load into it. Also, the filtration requirement of 4 or 5 or 6 times the volume is kinda sorta subjective. You should have as high a filtration ratio, as you can get, without causing too much water current in a freshwater aquarium. In marine aquariums, a certain higher current is necessary for which wave-makers are used.

Ensure that good enough filtration ratio exists, while also keeping the water current/flow to a limit which your fish can bear. With canister filters, HOBs, and some IPFs, you can adjust the flow or flow angle to limit the current. This is not available in most top filters, which are restricted to what the power-head can pump into it.

If you plan on keeping small fish, then the bio load will not be that high, and 2 IPFs pumping towards each other from the far ends of the tank can be used. If you plan on keeping larger fishes, i.e. larger in number or larger in size, then you may use a Eheim canister filter with the required flow rate.
netherwinterknights
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Introduction