An Introduction With Some Urgency

Give a small introduction of yourself and your hobby so we can know you better
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

An Introduction With Some Urgency

Postby Twilightfarer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, a very big thank you to the admins who added me here and all the lovely people who keep this forum live, vibrant and interesting.
I happened to drop into the hobby of aquaculture out of sheer boredom during the winter of 2013. Since then a few fish have gone to their watery graves dealing with my learning curve. I only wish I had come across a forum such as this earlier!

Anyway, now I come to you with a problem only veterans with street expeience in the area can help with. I have recently moved to Kolkata from Delhi and carried my babies with me. 4 Goldfish = 1 fantail, 2 Red Capped Orandas, 1 Blackmoor and 1 Common Pleco. In DElhi they lived happily in a large 150 litres tank - a habitat I could not carry with me. Now I am hoping to be able to re-home my pets in an equally spacious tank. The trouble is, I do not know where to go for the assembly.

As a research scholar I am perpetually short on money but I have painstakingly spared INR 5000 after all the travelling and shifting costs. My pets are in a tiny 25lites tub. The goldfish remain vigorous but my pleco has stopped eating and has turned pale... all of which are tell tale signs of stress. I hate putting them through this ad desperately want to re-build a tank. In delhi I had a tank built for INR 3800 = 3feet long, 1 feet wide and 1.5feet high. Made of 10 mm float glass on the sides and the panel on the bottom was 12mm thick. Unfortunately in Kolkata I cannot yet seem able to find the same things for the same price. I had hand crafted the external filtration sump and used a vitrified tile as a substrate. The water chemistry was perfect for goldfish and the sump had mechanical, chemical and biological filtration. The total set up cost me around INR 6k.

It would be extremely nice of people here if you could guide me to the right place/person/link to build my fish their new home with the same specifications as my previous tank in the same budget or less. All guidance asap would be greatly appreciated by me and particularly my pets!
Twilightfarer
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: An Introduction With Some Urgency

Postby el batty » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:16 am

it all depends on where you are located in Kolkata. you dont need 10mm glass for a 3' tank firstly, 8mmis more than sufficient. Also, the cost would be lesser in Kolkata compared to Delhi. Let us know where you stay then we can refer some LFS near your place and then you can get one made.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby chanda.subhasis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 am

welcome to you in our fish world. we can guarantee you that you are now at a much fishy place than you was.we can help you with our full wish to set a good home for your friends. things would be more chip and easily available in the kolkata's market comparing with Delhi.
just follow Batty's comment and give your location details.
chanda.subhasis
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Twilightfarer » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Right.. I am currently putting up at Laketown.
Twilightfarer
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby vikramdutta » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Please visit the link below, it may help you

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=94
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to Introduction