Introduction from an old fish-keeper

Give a small introduction of yourself and your hobby so we can know you better
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: Introduction from an old fish-keeper

Postby avik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:26 am

IMO, for id purpose it might be better to hold the fish out of water to show the fin ray count properly. For profiling the fish, underwater shot is good which will show how magnificantly colorful some of our natives are. Dada, I request you to also include some of the habitat photo whenever possible. You may check in fishbase and seriouslyfish, they usually have authentic informations.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby avik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:29 am

Sanam, that's a good idea too. I suggested the same to a new fb gr..it's always nice to see/id the fish in wet market, and easier once we know the local names. If you follow Andrewda, nowadays he posts the photos with local names.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:58 am

SanamMarik wrote:This seems really awesome....so what is the estimated time for a working url to be available with the infos? Btw one thing I want to add is, in many fish databases, we get the scientific names only and hence becomes very difficult to make local people understand abt the species being searched for. So, if u can kindly add up this local name(s) field, that will b very helpful to people like me who jst started venturing in the native world of fishes that r not much popular or available easily evn in fish markets.

Thank you Sanam.
Let's see how it goes, will have an idea of the timeline after a few weeks.
I will include available local names. We are lucky that we share the same language as our neighbouring country, and they are vastly ahead of us in documenting birds, fishes, agricultural produce and such like. So most plains fishes have a market name that is common in both countries. They are not big on hill stream varieties. I'll see if I can find the link. Your other option is to go to Fishbase if you know the scientific name. At the bottom of the species page they have a link for the common name. That will usually have at least the Bangldeshi name. If that fails you can ask our local experts. All commercially important fish have a market name in most cases. It gets tough when similar fishes of no real commercial (food) interest are concerned. Then we just lump. Much like katthokra applies to all woodpecker species, but all ducks have specific names :)
Cheers!
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:06 am

avik wrote:IMO, for id purpose it might be better to hold the fish out of water to show the fin ray count properly. For profiling the fish, underwater shot is good which will show how magnificantly colorful some of our natives are. Dada, I request you to also include some of the habitat photo whenever possible. You may check in fishbase and seriouslyfish, they usually have authentic informations.

I am a contributor to Fishbase image database :) Serouslyfish is a great resource too! Will certainly keep your suggestions in mind.
Thank you Avik.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:12 am

:-bd
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Previous

Return to Introduction