New Website for KAC

All site development news will be posted here. Feel free to post your inputs, ideas to improve site effectiveness and performance.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby tigermath » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I dont need it, was just curious about the availability of the app.
Regards,

Avik

**Dried testicles of POACHERS cure cancer**
tigermath
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member
 
Posts: 3087
Images: 51
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:16 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby Tirtha » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm

tigermath wrote:I dont need it, was just curious about the availability of the app.


There is no readymade mod for that.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
User avatar
Tirtha
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4251
Images: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am
Location: Hyderabad
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby arpankar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 am

Tirtha wrote:
bmukh wrote:Sorry a rather dumb question: Why do we need a new website? Why can't we have a section here that can host all these articles? Is there a technical problem (pardon my ignorance of about internet technicalities) in now creating an additional section from what we have? The problem, I foresee with another website is that, I am afraid some of us, who may have multiple memberships to other websites may end up gradually losing interest and participation with multiple websites. Already I can think most of us find it difficult to juggle, check and contribute between close to 10 forums (FB and website put togather),


Sorry for the confusion dada. There will be no new website. We are planning to add some new features to this site only.

I agree to this.. making the repository stronger here will be better than making a new site.

As for auto posting, there are plugins in Wordpress and Blogspot that allows that. Also check out twitterfeed.com
May help on integrating the two..
Regards,
Arpan Kar
Happy fish-keeping
User avatar
arpankar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby mithun » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

arpankar wrote:I agree to this.. making the repository stronger here will be better than making a new site.

As for auto posting, there are plugins in Wordpress and Blogspot that allows that. Also check out twitterfeed.com
May help on integrating the two..


So you mean to say.. ReefKeeping.com, Reefcentral.com etc forums are doing it all wrong? :) Forum is never meant for storing articles.. Its for discussion.. Today or tomorrow the long article posts in forum are going to get lost among the thousands of other posts .. you can make 5-10 articles sticky.. not all of them.. If you are planning on good content build you HAVE to organize them in a website.. Every repository's usefulness depends on its convenience of use.. Forum will never give you convenient publishing.. The sole purpose of forum depends on active topics.. once a topic is dead its GONE! no one bothers to search a forum to find an article among 1000 search results..
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 200Gal reef journal
User avatar
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2565
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Bangalore.. :(
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby Najib » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:30 am

This will just be like the stickie section in MFK. Which will be very beneficial and ez. I am all for this thing to go up :)
Najib

***My Fish Eat Your Fish***
User avatar
Najib
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 2959
Images: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Mumbai/Mangalore
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby arpankar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

mithun wrote:
arpankar wrote:I agree to this.. making the repository stronger here will be better than making a new site.

As for auto posting, there are plugins in Wordpress and Blogspot that allows that. Also check out twitterfeed.com
May help on integrating the two..


So you mean to say.. ReefKeeping.com, Reefcentral.com etc forums are doing it all wrong? :) Forum is never meant for storing articles.. Its for discussion.. Today or tomorrow the long article posts in forum are going to get lost among the thousands of other posts .. you can make 5-10 articles sticky.. not all of them.. If you are planning on good content build you HAVE to organize them in a website.. Every repository's usefulness depends on its convenience of use.. Forum will never give you convenient publishing.. The sole purpose of forum depends on active topics.. once a topic is dead its GONE! no one bothers to search a forum to find an article among 1000 search results..


I am not saying that. We can create a section within the forum, where the knowledge can be consolidated, instead of creating a separate website. IMHO, that would create a better practice in general. I am saying say we can consolidate specific articles in a page or article.. My two-penny on web-sites...
Regards,
Arpan Kar
Happy fish-keeping
User avatar
arpankar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby mithun » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:53 pm

What better practice is that? Give me an example of this better practice being "practice" in any reputed forums.. Is not it simple enough to understand that a forum is for discussion and website is for publishing? If we want we can eat directly from the frying pan which we use for cooking, why would we use plates then? That does not make it a better practice.. its just lethargy and unwillingness to accept new changes! Why don't we just wait and see whats coming rather than just resisting every new thing! After its live you always get to decide whether you liked the old concept or the new thing!

Yes we can create a new section in the forum and keep all the articles in there.. yes very true.. But a site offers extreme level of customization and enables us to mould it as per our absolute need which the free phpBB board can never offer.. I am not selling my product here guys.. Its just one leap forward after we have successfully made an active forum.. now the choice is whether we stay stagnant with what we have or whether to run with the sync of the online world and move ahead of the competitions :) Constructive criticism is very much welcome but conservative skepticism is not!
Mithun
M:8583865385
Napoleon Bonaparte wrote:If you want something done in a better way, do it yourself.

My 200Gal reef journal
User avatar
mithun
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 2565
Images: 0
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:03 pm
Location: Bangalore.. :(
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby Tirtha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Cool down both of you.
arpankar wrote:
mithun wrote:
arpankar wrote:I agree to this.. making the repository stronger here will be better than making a new site.

As for auto posting, there are plugins in Wordpress and Blogspot that allows that. Also check out twitterfeed.com
May help on integrating the two..


So you mean to say.. ReefKeeping.com, Reefcentral.com etc forums are doing it all wrong? :) Forum is never meant for storing articles.. Its for discussion.. Today or tomorrow the long article posts in forum are going to get lost among the thousands of other posts .. you can make 5-10 articles sticky.. not all of them.. If you are planning on good content build you HAVE to organize them in a website.. Every repository's usefulness depends on its convenience of use.. Forum will never give you convenient publishing.. The sole purpose of forum depends on active topics.. once a topic is dead its GONE! no one bothers to search a forum to find an article among 1000 search results..


I am not saying that. We can create a section within the forum, where the knowledge can be consolidated, instead of creating a separate website. IMHO, that would create a better practice in general. I am saying say we can consolidate specific articles in a page or article.. My two-penny on web-sites...


Arpan, the thread title is misleading. We are not creating any new website but a section to store the articles in static pages. It will make sure we are not loosing any valuable information.
Regards,
Tirtha

A Bad Attitude is like a Flat Tyre. You cannot go anywhere until you change it.
User avatar
Tirtha
Admin
Admin
 
Posts: 4251
Images: 20
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:27 am
Location: Hyderabad
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby sayantan neogi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 pm

How about a mapping out fish/aquarium/equipment stores and resources (rocks at mominpur, soilrite at hazra, etc.) for the city. That would be an invaluable asset to the website as well as hobbyists! :D
“I am like the fish in the aquarium, thinking in a different language, adapting to a life that’s not my natural habitat. I am the people in the other cars, each with his or her own story, but passing too quickly to be noticed or understood.”

- David Levithan (Every Day - 2012)
User avatar
sayantan neogi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC
 
Posts: 149
Images: 2
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 am
Location: Hazra, Kolkata
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: New Website for KAC

Postby Achintya » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:12 pm

sayantan neogi wrote:How about a mapping out fish/aquarium/equipment stores and resources (rocks at mominpur, soilrite at hazra, etc.) for the city. That would be an invaluable asset to the website as well as hobbyists! :D

somebody needs to migrate all data regarding LFS contact details from our orkut page.but 1 problem may come.contact no. may not same now.
The Best Revenge is Massive Success
User avatar
Achintya
KAC Senior Member
KAC Senior Member
 
Posts: 4356
Images: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am
Location: Kolkata
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 8 times

PreviousNext

Return to Site Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest