Sphagnum moss to lower pH?

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Sphagnum moss to lower pH?

Postby avik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:33 am

Anyone ever used sphagnum moss to lower pH? In general, we have three things peat moss, sphagnum moss and peat granules. The peat is wellknown in the hobby, I am looking for peat moss, what I am getting here is only peat granule..any idea on the availability and price of peat moss!! Just bought a block of sphagnum from nursery..read and heard that it can be used to lower pH..any experience u can share will be appreciated.
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Sphagnum moss to lower pH?

Postby xarg0n » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:28 am

Sphagnum will drop pH but not as aggressively as peat. You can just use little more quantity to get desired pH.
When you say peat granules , are these commercially manufactured for aquarium use ? Or general gardening use ?
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:18 pm

Dadas, peat nd sphagnum r not v different mosses. They r basically the same thing. Decomposed sphagnum moss is known as Peat moss. You already got the moss. All you need to do is jst decompose it. I dont know the exact procedure bt what i have been doing is to keep the moss in water fr a month with no wc but jst top up nd thn let it dry with the same water. Once dried, it breaks down mostly and you derive peat moss from it.
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby avik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:07 pm

Thanks Sanam for the interesting info..I ll search in net for the correct process. I put some sphagnum inside my wild betta tank. Now after a week I can check the pH and let u know about the effect. Xargon, I meant branded peat granules/pellets from sera azoo and others. I dont know where can I buy peat moss. Just thinking can coconut husk do any good towards lowering pH!!
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Cocopeat does good job as well. But some say it is not as good as peat moss in lowering pH. I am wondering if peat moss is decaying spaghnum , how people obtain it. Sphagnum comes in dry , and dry means not decaying. You have to make it wet so that it can decay. I never seen people buying decaying sphagnum in the name of peat moss.
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:01 pm

A few good reads here...
http://www.moutere.com/sphagnum-facts
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=yfA ... &q&f=false
http://acadianpeat.com/about/faq/

What I have read so far is companies dont make peat moss from sphagnum moss, they collect it from nature. Its plenty in some areas of Earth...
:)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby mr_feynman » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:38 pm

avik wrote:Thanks Sanam for the interesting info..I ll search in net for the correct process. I put some sphagnum inside my wild betta tank. Now after a week I can check the pH and let u know about the effect. Xargon, I meant branded peat granules/pellets from sera azoo and others. I dont know where can I buy peat moss. Just thinking can coconut husk do any good towards lowering pH!!

Sphagnum moss and peat moss are completely different. Decomposing sphagnum moss never makes you anywhere near to peat moss.
One of the Internet sources says (and all good sources likewise ;) ):

Peat moss is dead fibrous material that forms when mosses and other living material decompose in peat bogs. The difference between peat moss and the compost gardeners make in their backyard is that peat moss is composed mostly of moss and the decomposition happens in the absence of air, which slows the decomposition. It takes several millennia for peat moss to form, and peat bogs gain less than a millimeter in depth every year. Since the process is so slow, peat moss isn’t considered a renewable resource.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/soil-fertilizers/peat-moss-information.htm

That is why, being a non-renewable source many countries banned peat moss and the companies which destroy the million years old bog nature -- the peat moss is basically found near the base of tree trunk and root base; they uproot the entire tree to get access to peat!

That's another controversial story and subject to policy makers -- and still I do use peat moss from Prodac (Italy). I use it in my auto top off water to make it little softer.

Dried Sphagnum is available at horticulture nurseries -- they have same water holding nature like rock wool and used in basically orchid/flower/fruit cultivation. Also, there is some health hazard associated with Sphagnum moss.
……….Sphagnum moss can be a source of a chronic fungal disease called sporotrichosis, which enters the skin through scratches and abrasions. From there it can get into your lymph nodes and cause swelling of the joints. The entry point will develop blisters. If treatment is not given, amputation of the infected area can become necessary; death from the disease can also occur…………….

Source: http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATSphagnum%20Moss.htm

That's another reason, I never tried Sphagnum moss or any DIY decomposition of moss!! [-x

Coco-peat is made of coconut coirs and has 0 impact on nature. This claims to have pH benefits as peat moss -- but did not tried it on my 350liter+ tank, rather avoided the risk by choosing an aquarium use only product, i.e. peat granules from Prodac. (Sometimes the coco-peat contains additives for horticulture -- this is a risk for our tanks!)
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby avik » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:44 am

Sanam and Mr_Freynman, lots of useful information there. Let me read them and then get back to you.

Any trusted brand selling peat moss and not peat granules?
avik
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:09 pm

avik wrote:Sanam and Mr_Freynman, lots of useful information there. Let me read them and then get back to you.

Any trusted brand selling peat moss and not peat granules?

Peat moss has a compost like loose texture in nature ... Most of the brands compress them and make pellet like granules in their manufacturing process.

I use this one - Prodac aquator
http://www.prodacinternational.it/en-us/materiali-filtranti-gb-asia/filter-material-1/aquator.html
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arnab » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 pm

What I am doing for my 270lit for last one year or so is.. I take dry spagnum moss (sourced from Shillong), clean it gently and place it in a meshbag inside my media. I use two one handfull each time which lasts around a month and I refill again. It gives me steady pH of 6.4-6.7 approx.
arnab

Next

Return to Beginners Corner