New Tank Setup Advice (33 US gallons)

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

New Tank Setup Advice (33 US gallons)

Postby Meghana » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello everyone!

So this will be my first real aquarium. I was gifted a bowl with some tetras when I was in college and having inevitably lost those to, well, the bowl, I decided to wait till I had the space and money to properly support fish. Which brings me to now.
I live in Ahmedabad and the local shops are NOT knowledgable. Which brings me here!

These are my tank details:

Material: 8mm glass with braces
L: 42"
B: 12"
H: 15"
Volume: 33 US G/123 l

Here's what I need help with:

Stocking: Help me decide between the options and within the options on numbers/combinations? Once I decide on these, I can start setting up the tank accordingly.

Option 1: Malawi Cichlids
Why:
-They're beautiful
-The water here is already on the alkaline and hard side
-I love their sand and boulder habitat, feel like creating a scape with just those. (I've been collecting rounded stones)
Here's my attempt to decode the shopkeepers' names for the one's I believe may be okay for me to keep:
Banana: Labidochromis caeruleus
Rusty: Iodotropheus sprengerae
Powder Blue: Pseudotropheus socolofi
Yellow morph: No idea
White morph: Pseudotropheus socolofi albino Or Metriaclima callainnos

Option 2: Single species large school
Why:
-Who doesn't want a whole bunch of little fish swimming together?
-Seems more beginner friendly.
Fish:
1) Harlequin Rasboras
2) Red eye tetras
3) Tiger barbs

Option 3: Community with Gourami?

Filter: Is it safer to have two filters rather than one? If so, any suggestions? I've been looking into SOBO.
Light: Do I really need a light? There's plenty of natural light in my house, even away from the windows.
Heater: Is it required? Since most of the information online is presumably from colder climates, I'm not sure it's required.

I apologise for the length of this post, just wanted to ask everything at once. And I really need to be convinced before I start. Also, I do have two kittens, who will no doubt be VERY interested in the fish, so I suppose I need fish that aren't easily frightened/shocked.

Feels great just to put all that down, so thanks!
Meghana
Meghana

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: New Tank Setup Advice (33 US gallons)

Postby Siddhartha saive » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Meghana wrote:Hello everyone!

So this will be my first real aquarium. I was gifted a bowl with some tetras when I was in college and having inevitably lost those to, well, the bowl, I decided to wait till I had the space and money to properly support fish. Which brings me to now.
I live in Ahmedabad and the local shops are NOT knowledgable. Which brings me here!

These are my tank details:

Material: 8mm glass with braces
L: 42"
B: 12"
H: 15"
Volume: 33 US G/123 l

Here's what I need help with:

Stocking: Help me decide between the options and within the options on numbers/combinations? Once I decide on these, I can start setting up the tank accordingly.

Option 1: Malawi Cichlids
Why:
-They're beautiful
-The water here is already on the alkaline and hard side
-I love their sand and boulder habitat, feel like creating a scape with just those. (I've been collecting rounded stones)
Here's my attempt to decode the shopkeepers' names for the one's I believe may be okay for me to keep:
Banana: Labidochromis caeruleus
Rusty: Iodotropheus sprengerae
Powder Blue: Pseudotropheus socolofi
Yellow morph: No idea
White morph: Pseudotropheus socolofi albino Or Metriaclima callainnos

Option 2: Single species large school
Why:
-Who doesn't want a whole bunch of little fish swimming together?
-Seems more beginner friendly.
Fish:
1) Harlequin Rasboras
2) Red eye tetras
3) Tiger barbs

Option 3: Community with Gourami?

Filter: Is it safer to have two filters rather than one? If so, any suggestions? I've been looking into SOBO.
Light: Do I really need a light? There's plenty of natural light in my house, even away from the windows.
Heater: Is it required? Since most of the information online is presumably from colder climates, I'm not sure it's required.

I apologise for the length of this post, just wanted to ask everything at once. And I really need to be convinced before I start. Also, I do have two kittens, who will no doubt be VERY interested in the fish, so I suppose I need fish that aren't easily frightened/shocked.

Feels great just to put all that down, so thanks!
Meghana

Welcome to the hobby Meghana
Looks like you have done plenty of research already:D you will definitely succeed.

Stocking. Its upto you. Keep what you like the most... although the Malawi cichlids do better in numbers in bigger tanks. You can keep dwarf cichlids like Microgeophagus ramirezi ( rams) etc which are compatible with tetra.
A single school of tetra will look much better. You can keep peaceful gourami like dwarf/neon/lily or pearl gourami along with tetras.

Filter. A single filter of any kind will be fine if you can do water changes. Frequency depending on your stocking level. Once a week to once a month of at least 50% water change. This will keep your fish healthy.

You need a light to view your fish better. Any light will do. You can use a cheap ready made fixture that you can mount on the glass edge.

You don't need a heater to keep the fish you mentioned. Get an aquarium thermometer. You can add a heater later if your tank gets colder than 25°
Dr. Sid
Siddhartha saive
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Meghana » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:00 am

Hey, thanks!

Yea, I've been totally absorbed in reading anything and everything I can find for the past couple of weeks! Any suggestions for the filter though? I will be buying it online, and most places don't have proper specifications.

Also, would you really advice against the cichlids? I do like them! What if I make a super elaborate rock structure?

And for the tetras... wouldn't they prefer a planted tank? I love plants and gardening and am always experimenting, but I don't know how difficult it will be to maintain a planted tank.

I don't mind the maintenance, really. I believe that's very much a part of enjoying something you grow.
Meghana

Postby pratiksawai47 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:40 am

Go through some planted tank forums
Dedicated Learner
pratiksawai47
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby el batty » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:17 am

its the width of 1' which will be a constraint...malawis need atleast 18" width (bare minimum)..so guess that's off the list!
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby vikramdutta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:22 am

Meghana wrote:Hey, thanks!

Yea, I've been totally absorbed in reading anything and everything I can find for the past couple of weeks! Any suggestions for the filter though? I will be buying it online, and most places don't have proper specifications.

Also, would you really advice against the cichlids? I do like them! What if I make a super elaborate rock structure?

And for the tetras... wouldn't they prefer a planted tank? I love plants and gardening and am always experimenting, but I don't know how difficult it will be to maintain a planted tank.

I don't mind the maintenance, really. I believe that's very much a part of enjoying something you grow.

Welcome to the hobby.
First of all, You have to decide what really you want to make. a planted or a non planted. In both the cases you need a good amount of reading and research, both are live and both grow. My suggestion will be first decide what type of tank you want to make, and then ask a particular question in this forum and you will get a hell lot of answers, guidance and suggestion from the members here.

Planted tank is beautiful, If you wanna make a planted tank, please go through the planted tank discussion journals in this forum, you will get a huge knowledge,

Anyway all D best
Cheers.
vikramdutta
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sushil » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:40 am

- Myself being a Malawi lover, I will suggest against it due to size of your tank. Its not that they can not survive in that size, but it will be survival only. If you really want to go for malawi then you need to increase the tank size. Rock structure will not compensate for the tank size.

- Filter being one of the most important equipment of the setup, invest in a good quality canister or top filter.
Rider of the storm

Sushil
Sushil
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Meghana » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Okay, so no Malawi for now. Will make a new tank for them in the future.
I wanted to decide on the fish first and set up the tank to suit them best.
Anyway, now I'm thinking I'd like to have a couple of Gourami (I'm okay with even just one) and a large school of smaller fish that will be compatible with them. And I'll make it a planted tank :).
I seem to be finding a lot of conflicting information on stocking and compatibility.
-So between dwarf, pearl and three spot gourami, which would be best suited for my tank size and experience level and in what number/s?
-For the school, serpae tetra/red-eye tetra/zebra danio(I only seem to see the neon ones though)/harlequin rasbora(very expensive, why?) I'm thinking like 11-15 of them.

Could I please have some suggestions for numbers/combinations? I think I may have overdosed on the research and now want a house full of tanks with all possible species and a million different layouts! Hence having a hard time narrowing it all down to just one tank.

Thanks

Thanks
Meghana

Postby el batty » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:04 pm

serpae and red eyes are fin nippers.
3 spot gourami are very easy to keep and they come in 2 color morphs...blue and tan...you can keep a gourami pair in your tank with ease along with few hardy plants and say around 10-12 zebra danios (i am personally biased towards this fish because of the high energy of these little ones.)

get some hardy common amazons and vals and you are set for your tank.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby Meghana » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:22 pm

:)

Thank you! By pair, do you mean male+female pair, or just two? Is there any way I can sex them? Any alternatives for the second species in case I don't find the non modified zebras?
Also should I add the gourami first or last?
Meghana

Next

Return to Beginners Corner