New Tank Setup Advice (33 US gallons)

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Re: New Tank Setup Advice (33 US gallons)

Postby Meghana » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:25 am

Also, would between SOBO WP 880f and SOBO WP 1880f, which one should I go for? The guys at the aquarium shop suggested the 880.
Meghana

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Postby el batty » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:18 am

the dorsal fins of male gouramis are sharper while the females have a more rounded shaped fin.
goramis being a little more aggressive, should be added last or together...but is your tank cycled?
if not, dont dump them together and let nature take its course.

let the filter run for a week atleast and then introduce your fishes. @sanammarik <-- he can explain about cycling the tank.
any non fin-nipping tetras are suitable to be kept.

your flow rate should be not too high since gouramis prefer low flow.
Regards,
Subhadeep

aninda wrote:I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people I don't like and assume they deserved it.
el batty

Postby SanamMarik » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:17 am

Seriously Batty da!!! :P
To b honest here I never attempted to cycle my tanks intentionally xcept fr my 1st planted tank. Nd now i am an owner of more than 10 tanks. However none of my tanks r plant less except the gf tank, so i dont face much of an issue. Cycling the tank means establishing the bb colony to break down the ammonia nd stuffs like dat to a less harmful compound. In my experience any tank with balanced bioload gets quite balanced in 2weeks time with 50%wc weekly. Obviously one thing to be noted is dat all my tanks have atleast more than 10x effective filtration cycle rate. Eg fr if my tank is 100L my filters run at atleast 1000lph... :)
I keep the water cycling rate thru filter always high, may b dats why i never faced any issues due to uncycled tanks. I evn do d same fr Discus. But in this case as its ur frat tank, would suggest you to go by the books. You can always do experiments later on after having some grip on the subject. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Siddhartha saive » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:54 am

To keep it simple..

Cycling is the time taken for beneficial bacteria to get established in sufficient numbers so they can handle the toxic waste that fish produce(ammonia) and convert it into less harmful substances(nitrate).

It roughly takes about 4 to 6 weeks for a competely new tank to get cycled.

To start the cycle you need waste...from fish or fish food.. that you need to add. You can simply feed a lil food once a few days for an imaginary fish in the tank.

Don't do water changes during this period as you will remove the waste that the bacteria need to multiply. If you can change the water daily you don't need the tank to cycle.

Do a 50% water change and add fish after 4 weeks.. one group of fish per week as your bacterial capacity(bio filter) will take time to adjust. Adding plants will help cycle the tank much faster.

And for your planted tank idea follow this.. simple and easy

Use regular sand(if you want cheapest) or a branded substrate at least 2" deep.

Use these plants. Easiest to keep alive with no maintenance.
Cryptocoryne sp. Any variety
Hygrophila difformis
Sagittaria subulata
Lily
And anubias, java ferns to tie on wood or rock

Use any light you can get that can light up the entire tank. Should be bright enough for you to see clearly into the tank. Too bright and you'll have algae problems. Plant heavily at start
Dr. Sid
Siddhartha saive
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby arnab » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 am

there is nothing like keeping same type of fishes which would school together. good you thought about it.

haven't read what others had to say, but my choice would be sand + gravel as substrate, few woods (not necessarily branchy ones), crypt + hygophila + rotala(easy ones) + Anubias, HOB or an IPF, no hood, LED flood light, any type of barb (cherry is my favt).
arnab

Postby suvrajit » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:14 pm

+1 Arnab
How about a sand and valisneria tank with tiger barbs or say sawba rasbora s ?????????
Suvrajit
Fishaholic
suvrajit
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby xarg0n » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Where did you get sawba resplendense from ?
Thanks & Regards..

Sourav...

"If you want to do something in a better way, do it yourself !" --Nepoleon Bonaparte
xarg0n
Dedicated KAC Member
Dedicated KAC Member

Previous

Return to Beginners Corner