Snail in my planted dirt tank

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Snail in my planted dirt tank

Postby sekhar4web » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:11 am

Hello Friends,

I bought couple of hardy plants last weekend and joy oh joy the tank seems quite like a jungle. After observing it closely I found a type of snail that is leaching too fast for its size. I did googled it for it's ID (guessed it close to apple snail), but due to lack of knowledge I cannot figure out whether it is safe for my tank.

All I did was, took her and placed in quarantine zone (a jar with few leaves really).

Guys please enlighten me on;
a. What type of snail species is this?
b. Are they safe to be in there?
c. Will it benefit my aquarium habitat?

PS: Totally sorry for the kind of photography this is, as she is fast I cannot use my cell phone to capture her. Please pardon.

Thank You!
Srini Sekhar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sekhar4web

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Snail in my planted dirt tank

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 am

Be extra careful when you see snails in your tank, many of them will take no time to become 100 from 1 :oops: I can't clearly make out from the picture, but if somebody confirms this is a pond snail, then you should have a dwarf puffer or assassin snail handy in case they get out of control. Good luck :lol:
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby zhi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:05 am

seems like a pest snail... their eggs hitch hike with plants and the develope in the new tank.... they multiply fast.. you can google about snail traps or buy from ebay or else you cant get snail eating species.
~ life is what you make it...
zhi
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby sekhar4web » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 am

pulsarabhi, Thanks a bunch!!!

I totally forgot about pond snail, just did a google on them and yes it looks like one but this one sports a pattern like nerite.
And today I found her sweeping through rocks. Is this normal behavior of all snails?
Yes there are tiny ones like these in my tank along with two big ramshorns in reddish to pink color.

I got access to assassin but also thinking to put couple of MTS, hope assassin and MTS will be good mates.

Again please pardon my noobness.
sekhar4web

Postby sekhar4web » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 am

Hi zhi,

Thank you mate!, I guess I have to go for cucumber method or time to bring in the Assassins :D

Cheers guys
sekhar4web

Postby zhi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 am

the assassin snail might assassinate your ramshorn snails too :P beware hehe
~ life is what you make it...
zhi
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby sekhar4web » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 am

Well!!! cucumber it is then :( I don't like to loose ramshorn, they kind of look cute and active.
sekhar4web

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:16 pm

Yup, assassins will eat anything they can catch, so your ramshorns will be food too. I would say you rehouse your ramshorns to another tank or bowl while assassins take care of the pest snails. I have tried the cucumber method, but no matter how many you catch, they always come back :cry::cry:

What I mean to say is best way to deal with pest snails is to exterminate them rather than catch them. In my case, I added assassins to control pest snails and they did a wonderful job. But next thing, my assassins started to breed like crazy and I had to sell/give away literally hundreds of them. But trust me, having a hundred beautifully striped assassins is any day better than thousands of those ugly looking pest snails, this of course is my personal opinion only :lol:
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby sekhar4web » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:30 am

Pulserabhi,

Totally agree with you about assassins, they are indeed beautiful especially under LED's. At the moment there are tiny snails sneaking to surface now and then.
I made a mistake of getting ramshorns, should have got assasins. The shop guys gave an option, take assassin or rams, my brain got cooked up due to Chennai's heat and took ramshorn instead, but they are cute though.

Well I will try to catch and squash for now, If out of control then assassins will be put in-charge in the mean time ramshorns will be moved to another area or friends tank.

Cheers ;)
sekhar4web

Postby pulsarabhi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 am

Sure, wish you best luck :lol:
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Return to Beginners Corner