New Marine Aquarium_Estimate Solution

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

New Marine Aquarium_Estimate Solution

Postby ShirsenduM » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Hello,

Myself Shirsendu located at Tegharia near to Airport. I've a big time dream to set up a marine aquarium with fish & live rock later on I want to add on corals. But I've enquired about the estimate at few of the marine aquarium shop. I've enquired for either 3ft x 2.5ft x 2 ft or 4x2x2. Some had provided me a budget of Rs. 65000/-, 50,000/-. I got the shock of the month when a dealer had provided me a estimate of Rs 2 lac. Is it so expensive to setup a low maintenance marine aquarium. Need your all expertise suggestion.
When told a shopkeeper that I'm doing a service & we donot earn so much of money, because it's my wish & a hobby hence i want to set up a marine aquarium at my home. I got amazed with his reply, he said that I can make an aquarium at Rs 15000 also but then I cannot guarantee of the fish whether it'll last or not.

I'm sharing the break up of the person who had suggested me an estimate of RS 2 Lac 86k.

Estimate for 36"x30"x24" Hi-Tech Reef Aquarium
Sl. Items Quantity Rate Amount (Rs.)
1 Florida live rock 60 kg 350 21,000
2 Live sand(USA) 10 packets 2,200 22,200
3 Salt(USA) 5 packets 1,500 7,500
4 Light 1 LED 45,000 45,000
5 Protein skimmer (USA) 1 pc 27,000 27,000
6 Hydrometer 1 pc 1,000 1,000
7 Live bacteria Big (USA) 2 pcs 3,500 7,000
8 Vinyl background Required quantity 3,000 3,000
9 Test Kit (Salifert-Holland) 3 pc 2,000 6,000
10 Phosphate absorbing media (GFO) 1 pc 7,000 7,000
11 Uplift Pump(Branded quality) 1 pc 23,000 23,000
12 Wave maker 2 pcs 10,500 21,000
13 Plumbing 1 set 4,500 4,500
14 Aquarium with sump 1 set 25,000 25,000
15 Aquarium chiller 1 set 38,000 38,000
16 Digital thermometer 1 pc 1,000 1,000
17 Media bag 2 pc 1,000 2,000
18 Biopearl media 1 pc 10,000 10,000
19 Setup charges - 5,000 5,000
20 Shipping and transport - 10,000 10,000
TOTAL 2,86,000

Regards/Shirsendu
ShirsenduM
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: New Marine Aquarium_Estimate Solution

Postby bunty123 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Bro please go through the journals in this forum and you dont need all those things.....you can easily setup a tank of that dimension at a much cheaper price....
Regards from Abhirup Bandopadhyay
3.3 gallon planted>ada amazonia>eheim 2211>pressurised co2
50 litre marine tank
bunty123
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:49 pm

That list is ridiculous!!! =)) =)) =))

Things you may need to take care of basically:

good quality salt - redSea etc.
Have a source of RO water/ mineral water big jars
A good quality pump - can go fancy with Jabeo/ sicce dc/ac pump -- costly but way less than the price you shared!!!
A good quality protein skimmer - bubble magas, redSea etc.
A good test kit - API Saltwater master test kit 2500/- only

Only if you wish to have corals:
A good quality wave maker - jabeo/ hydor etc.
A super good quality led light -- costs 20k-50k

Having said that all those item too have cheap versions and they are good!!!
For rest of the items in your list -- you even find it hard to procure such over priced stuffs in Kolkata hobby circle! :))

Please go through the reef journals in KAC - even there are recent threads where you can see prices as per today's date!!!

And this is my humble request as a hobbyist --
Fish keeping is not just about money you spend, but the well being of your live stock depends on understanding their basic requirements, habitat and closely monitoring your tank with timely measure!
And that all come in to picture day by day with time and patience -- like 1 grey hair, 2 grey hair, 3 grey hair year after year -- that's called EXPERIENCE!

If you feel yourself as a novice in this hobby, I should recommend you to please start with freshwater fish keeping -- marine fish are costly and difficult to keep!!! Reefs/Corals are pinnacle of hobby! The choice is yours!
Good luck!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby bappa » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:33 am

og god estimate of RS 2 Lac 86k. ......... not a fair price
Thanks
BAPPA....

Math. The only place where people buy 60 watermelons and no one wonders why....:)
bappa
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Santanu » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:08 am

Here some components are really overpriced.

1. Florida live rock not available in Kolkata/India.
2. Livesand bucket costs 1500-1600 max and you need max 3-4 bucket for 4x2x2 tank.
3. Salt blue treasure retail price 1000-1200 I think. One 6.7kg pack makes around 200litre water. 4x2x2 tank with 36x15x15 sump holds max 550-600litre water. So 3 pack will be enough.
4. If you have low budget then you can go for t5ho fixture. Costs max 7000-8000 for 4ft.
5. Protein Skimmer reef octopus nwb 150 10000 max. You can go for cheaper brands like JAD which comes within 5000.
6. Glass hydrometer 200
7. Live Bacteria not needed since you already adding livesand or liverock.
8. Vinyl background max 200
9. Test kit not sure about current price. Check ebay.in (API, SALIFERT, SERA)
10. No need to use GFO. If phosphate gets high you can use locally available phosguard without any side effect.
11. Uplift pump : max 5000
12. Wavemaker starts from 500 and jebao starts from 5500.
13. Plumbing 500-1000 max.
14. Aquarium with sump max 10000
15. Chiller : only if u keep inverts
16. Digital thermometer : check ebay
17. Media bag : max 150 each
18. Bio pearl media : havent used it
19. Setup charges : cant comment on this
20. Shipping and transport : I guess all included.
Santanu
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby ShirsenduM » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Thank You seniors..!!! for your replies & support..!!! will surely need more.. Santanu da, I'll contact u..
ShirsenduM
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:52 am

I think you must aim for that budget, but not really with above prices. I wont suggest you to go to any of those guys who suggested 15000, 50000,60000 or anything. Please understand, how much ever you pay if you do not know how to maintain you will kill them all anyway.

DO NOT expect these un-skilled or semi-skilled labor to be more educated than you. Dont just believe them, please read about the maintenance efforts, your daily time and MONEY required in setting a healthy marine, only then invest in which you can sustain for long time.

Importantly- [-x !
Don't harass a single member with all your queries, they might not be consultants, and theyd have personal life too, use the forum to post public queries so that more experts will help your, and more beginners like you will have notes to learn from this topic.
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby ShirsenduM » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:28 am

kumar wrote:I think you must aim for that budget, but not really with above prices. I wont suggest you to go to any of those guys who suggested 15000, 50000,60000 or anything. Please understand, how much ever you pay if you do not know how to maintain you will kill them all anyway.

DO NOT expect these un-skilled or semi-skilled labor to be more educated than you. Dont just believe them, please read about the maintenance efforts, your daily time and MONEY required in setting a healthy marine, only then invest in which you can sustain for long time.

Importantly- [-x !
Don't harass a single member with all your queries, they might not be consultants, and theyd have personal life too, use the forum to post public queries so that more experts will help your, and more beginners like you will have notes to learn from this topic.

@ Kumar, your words are demotivating..!!! As I believe we educated people doesn't harass people for own stake.. Knowledge increases if you share with the people's who are interested in it.. Sorry if I had used any word which hurt you.. There was no such intention.. Rather saying all these if you would have guided me about the requirements it would be helpful..

Regards/Shirsendu

Whom did I harassed ?? Moreover if you guys are knowledgeable then it is good to share & motivate people so that they can also have a hand on that..!!! With your reply only I've not got any information.

Why'll I not be able to maintain it..?? Is there any super science in it.. I was not aware of the prices & heard good about the forum hence shared it in details..

N e ways thanks for the suggestion people like you also exist & others like helpful guys also exist. Who helps the hobbyists to fulfill their dreams or desire..
ShirsenduM
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby kumar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Sorry, sometimes I don't convey message correctly. :) I mean to say use the forum more than personal messages etc, I.e. consulting single person, I should use a better word next time. Also better smiley to make it look less serious. Like :P

Hey :) and I am not questioning any capabilities, just that you need improving with some more knowledge as people suggested, by following journals etc, will help immensely. Again I am suggesting a newbie, please excuse if you already know it much.

Please continue with the flow, let us know how you are planning it out. No doubt we are here to help you. May be you can begin from deciding howmuch space you are willing to provide for tank, then water source plumbing, etc. Its easier this way rather than we each one gives you a option to choose from, just my thought, seniors might have another opinion. And thatsy I Dint suggest you anything upfront. :ympeace:

Cheers!
i luv fish + u luv fis=we luv wish

rahul wrote:It should not be like today planted ,tomorrow cichlid,day after tomorrow blackwater, next community, then marine ,then business and end up dying useless. Whatever you do do it well
kumar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby mr_feynman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:02 pm

ShirsenduM wrote:
kumar wrote:I think you must aim for that budget, but not really with above prices. I wont suggest you to go to any of those guys who suggested 15000, 50000,60000 or anything. Please understand, how much ever you pay if you do not know how to maintain you will kill them all anyway.

Importantly- [-x !

@ Kumar, your words are demotivating..!!! As I believe we educated people doesn't harass people for own stake.. Knowledge increases if you share with the people's who are interested in it.. Sorry if I had used any word which hurt you.. There was no such intention.. Rather saying all these if you would have guided me about the requirements it would be helpful..

Regards/Shirsendu

Whom did I harassed ?? Moreover if you guys are knowledgeable then it is good to share & motivate people so that they can also have a hand on that..!!! With your reply only I've not got any information.

Why'll I not be able to maintain it..?? Is there any super science in it.. I was not aware of the prices & heard good about the forum hence shared it in details..

N e ways thanks for the suggestion people like you also exist & others like helpful guys also exist. Who helps the hobbyists to fulfill their dreams or desire..

I found @Kumar very much correct in his thoughts!
My two pence for @Shirsendu:

This is not super science or rocket science. You may need to learn few chapters of the following subjects as many KAC freaks do:

1. Biology (fish, invertebrates and sometines even pests -- many sub divisions)
2. Biology (Plants and many sub divisions)
2.1 Biology of algae
3. Biology of corals / anemones etc (again delicate invertebrates)
4. Biology of bacterium (beneficial and pest both)
5. Water chemistry advanced level in aquarium section, kinda niche Ph.D =))
6. Vet medicines on aquatic animals
7. Optoelectronics and Optical physics -- good level in aquarium science.
8. Electrical wiring
9. Plumbing needs and designs
10. Basic idea on glasswares and pressure calculation (sometimes with acrylic)
11. May be Automation with electronics/ electrical equipments if fed up of daily manual on-off and parameter checking
12. Some basics in aesthetics like rules of 1/3rds etc.
13.Backup plans like Crisis management
14. and many more... this is just a tip of iceberg.

This may not be a rocket science!
And I am not demotivating you - but this is it!
We all do that in the course of this hobby - welcome on-board bro!
mr_feynman
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Next

Return to Beginners Corner