oscar and blood parrot

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

oscar and blood parrot

Postby jiko » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 am

hello, i have a 2.5ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft tank, bare bottom, with only sponge filter. i want to put 2 oscar( one white and other black), and 4 blood parrot in this tank. all fishes are small 2-3 inch aprox. is it okay to put them in my tank? i'll add more powerful filter later. thanks in advance...
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: oscar and blood parrot

Postby rahul » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:36 pm

sorry to say that we dont promote keeping parrots.deformed fishes could be like winning a lottery to ornamental fish industry breeders but to us its unethical.
rahul

Postby jiko » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:57 pm

actually i am new to fish keeeping hobby. dont know much about the fishes. my 1st choice were some colourful ornamental fishes, but when i saw the oscar tank with 10 baby oscar, i fall in love with them. all other fishes in the shop have 'eat, poop and hide' attitude. but these oscar babies come top of the tank to observe me. i love this attitude. so when i ask my shopkeeper about oscar, he says they cannot live with all fishes. my choices are limited to only blood parrot and shivram. but he dont have shivram in stock and parrots are also look nice. parrots look like comedian and oscar looks like angry boss. i thought this combination is good. so i want to have some parrot.

will u plz suggest me some fishes which can be kept with oscar and also not too much difficult to keep??
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:51 am

hi jiko....
your tank size is good for 2"-3", but if you want to do justice with your friends in future use a larger one.

Forget about parrots, if you love colour just have a look on cichlid forums. There are many colourful and joyful (I think you like this part) and also easily available cichlids are waiting for you. Can try them.... :)

But if you want to stick with Oscars then please read the article thoroughly http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/astronotus-ocellatus/
And you have to upgrade the filtration part first.....

This is my personal opinion and you have all options to think differently....... ;)

Welcome to the hobby friend.....
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby jiko » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:16 am

thank you for your reply...
Soumya Sarkar wrote:hi jiko....
your tank size is good for 2"-3", but if you want to do justice with your friends in future use a larger one.

cant understand this part...
filter will be upgraded very soon. i have 8 tetras in my tank for last 6 month so i have this sponge filter. thinking about overhead filter or corner power filter. which one to choose for good filtration? which cichlids are available in this price range and relatively easy to keep??
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby pratiksawai47 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:08 pm

When Oscars grow bigger u will have to upgrade your tank so why not do it now.
On filtration part canister filters are best but u can also use top filters with proper media
Are you planning to keep tetras with OSCAR?
:|
Dedicated Learner
pratiksawai47
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby jiko » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:34 pm

i returned the tetras to the shop... 50% water change done... tank is now empty with two sponge filter running... will buy fish after pujo... sorry, i have to keep parrot fish as my brother wants them... please suggest some other cichlids compatible with oscar, in case i can convince my brother... thank u...
jiko
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Return to Beginners Corner