Some questions from a beginner for a planted tank

If you are a beginner, post your questions, concerns here.
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Some questions from a beginner for a planted tank

Postby Jimut » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:52 am

I am current having a 2x1x1 feet tank, with a sponge filter
like this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/AQUARIUM-BIOCHEMICAL-FISH-TANK-AIR-PUMP-SPONGE-FILTER-/321833409852?hash=item4aeec41d3c:g:~m0AAOSwhcJWF4G8
big grained sand as substrate, and a 12W fluorescent light, currently no CO2 and ferts.

I planted 3 types of plants, one is Amazon Swords and I don't know the name of the other two. Currently it's in its cycling stage.

I am confused if the filtration is enough, I also bought a power filter (14W), it has a flow rate of 500L/h is that overpowered for my tank? Because whenever I put it in, my fish looks like they are on a treadmill, and it looks like there's a storm in my tank, it also starts moving my substrate.

I am planning to do a DIY CO2 using yeast and sugar after some months and start to use ferts ar well (there is a seller on ebay that sells micro and macro nutrients).

Some questions on Gallif Street.
As I live in Kanchrapara, I have to order the plants from a shopkeeper who bought it for me from Gallif Street. He took Rs 10 for each of the Amazon Swords and the other plant, and he brought a plant that costs Rs 200, unfortunately I forgot the name of it (All of them looks almost same to me). Is he taking a reasonable price?

What is the timing of Gallif Street market? I was told that market opens at 4 AM and closes 8 AM is that true?

What will be the cost of ferts there? Can I get citric acid there? How much will it cost to set up a pressurized CO2 system?

I had a planted tank before, one problem I faced was that between all those plants one or two plants grew so large that other ones was not able to survive. Why does that happen? How to get a bushy planted tank?

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any other thing to do, that I can for the tank?

Thank You :) .
Jimut
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Some questions from a beginner for a planted tank

Postby pulsarabhi » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:10 am

In my little experience, any form of air-driven (including the sponge filter you got) filter is not a good idea for planted tanks. They air bubbles will gas out the co2 in the water and deprive the plants of co2. You should try for one more IPF or a cheap canister filter.
pulsarabhi
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby dev roy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:44 pm

From kachrapara u can easily come to gallif. The market timing is 5.30am to 1pm.
IGNORE MY ENGLISH
dev roy
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Jimut » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:45 pm

pulsarabhi wrote:In my little experience, any form of air-driven (including the sponge filter you got) filter is not a good idea for planted tanks. They air bubbles will gas out the co2 in the water and deprive the plants of co2. You should try for one more IPF or a cheap canister filter.

I will try another IPF later, but I don't want to cut or pluck any plants for making room for it now, once it start to get a little bushy I will.
I think it will a little risky as all the bacteria will form on the air driven filter.
Jimut
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Jimut » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:48 pm

dev roy wrote:From kachrapara u can easily come to gallif. The market timing is 5.30am to 1pm.

Thanks, for the info.

And the other stuffs about Gallif Street you know anything about that?
Prices of plants, fertilizer, citric acid, pressurized CO2 system, filters?
Jimut
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby SanamMarik » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:08 pm

I am current having a 2x1x1 feet tank, with a sponge filter
like this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/AQUARIUM-BIOCHEMICAL-FISH-TANK-AIR-PUMP-SPONGE-FILTER-/321833409852?hash=item4aeec41d3c:g:~m0AAOSwhcJWF4G8
big grained sand as substrate, and a 12W fluorescent light, currently no CO2 and ferts.

strictly no.

I planted 3 types of plants, one is Amazon Swords and I don't know the name of the other two. Currently it's in its cycling stage.

I am confused if the filtration is enough, I also bought a power filter (14W), it has a flow rate of 500L/h is that overpowered for my tank? Because whenever I put it in, my fish looks like they are on a treadmill, and it looks like there's a storm in my tank, it also starts moving my substrate.

post a pic please. for the filter part, buy at max 6watt powered ipf for ur tank. if flow seems less, add one more of same.

I am planning to do a DIY CO2 using yeast and sugar after some months and start to use ferts ar well (there is a seller on ebay that sells micro and macro nutrients).

From Sodepur you will get micro and college street/central avenue area near to Medical college, u will get macro. Please note that all plants cannot survive w/o ferts. so its a kind of mandatory stuff if u want to venture into planted world.

Some questions on Gallif Street.
As I live in Kanchrapara, I have to order the plants from a shopkeeper who bought it for me from Gallif Street. He took Rs 10 for each of the Amazon Swords and the other plant, and he brought a plant that costs Rs 200, unfortunately I forgot the name of it (All of them looks almost same to me). Is he taking a reasonable price?

Amazon swords cost around 3-6 at galiff depending on type and size. post a pic of the plant that costed 200.

What is the timing of Gallif Street market? I was told that market opens at 4 AM and closes 8 AM is that true?

Normally opens up pretty early, so if u want to get hold of the best you must reach at max by 8am.

What will be the cost of ferts there? Can I get citric acid there? How much will it cost to set up a pressurized CO2 system?

you wont get lab grade chemicals at galiff. there are many commercial ferts available at different price tags. Effectiveness- no ideas. CO2 equipments u will find at NS road better.

I had a planted tank before, one problem I faced was that between all those plants one or two plants grew so large that other ones was not able to survive. Why does that happen? How to get a bushy planted tank?

Its always survival of the fittest. so let other species survive, tank maintenance is the key.

Am I doing anything wrong? Is there any other thing to do, that I can for the tank?

Repeat this question after a year to urself and let us know ur answer. ;)

Thank You :)

You are very welcome and Welcome to the forum... :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Postby Jimut » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:26 am

strictly no.

I this because of the gassing out of the CO2, if that I also need to remove the air stone running on the other side.

From Sodepur you will get micro and college street/central avenue area near to Medical college, u will get macro. Please note that all plants cannot survive w/o ferts. so its a kind of mandatory stuff if u want to venture into planted world.

So I need to start giving ferts early, CO2 can be started few months later right?

comp2.jpg

comp.jpg

Thank you again for reply, it was very helpful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimut
New KAC Member
New KAC Member

Postby Soumya Sarkar » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:26 am

Jimut wrote:I this because of the gassing out of the CO2, if that I also need to remove the air stone running on the other side.

It will be better if you avoid any air pump driven stuffs during your photoperiod imo. You can run your air stone during dark phase......
I have learned how to be a learner.....
Soumya Sarkar
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby Sumit K Sen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:47 am

I hope your 200 buck plant is not a 2 buck Ottelia alismoides. But I'll leave it the more learned to confirm.
Sumit K Sen
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:33 pm

i dont know the exact name for this plant but its sold at 5/piece at Galiff, if i am not mistaken....
May b ur shopkeeper got it confused with a anubias that looks similar to it...and gave a sword to you instead of the anubias...

@rahul, please confirm if it anything other than a sword. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Next

Return to Beginners Corner