Begginner aquarist, remove algae from tank.

Discuss anything and everything related to freshwater fish keeping
Forum rules
Before you start posting in this forum, will suggest you to go through the forum rules
HERE

Begginner aquarist, remove algae from tank.

Postby neoboyrok » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:25 am

Hi guys,
I've recently got into the joys of aquariums, I went out and bought my 20 gallon aquarium a few months ago, filled it with water, put a cheap filter in, and dumped some cheap fish in from the local market. As you may have guessed, everything went haywire, and now the tank has a lone survivor, and dark green glass. I'm wondering, if I can somehow kill all the algae in the tank (once the fish dies obviously) through chlorine maybe...
Anyways, I'm looking for a fresh start.
For my filter, I'm looking at this http://www.ebay.in/itm/Boyu-EF-0F-Exter ... 317wt_1273 , or http://www.ebay.in/itm/HAQOS-EXPRO-500- ... t_1165.The latter is more expensive, but If required, then I can get it.
For the substrate, I'm thinking DIY, or should I be less cheap and actually buy a substrate. Also, sand or gravel? I'm thinking of maybe breeding fish later, and I know some of them like to bury their eggs. Also, which is better for plants?
As for cycling, should I do planted or non planted cycling, I don't want to put fish in as they might kick the bucket, and that's a loss.
What factors should I be worried about in the aquarium (Ph, Kh, etc...) ?
When will I know that it's time to put fish in?
And for the fauna, I thought some mini crabs might make the aquarium interesting, I could make DIY underwater housing :D . What species do well with crabs, and will crabs prevent them from breeding?
For the flora, I was thinking Java moss and fern, anubias maybe. Any recommended plants?
Also, when can I expect agae blooms, and how do I get rid of them. Do I ever have to do a full water change?
Lastly, here are some other things I probably will buy,
Air pump, stone,
Aquarium heater,
Aquarium salt (people say making the aquarium slightly salty is good for the fish, and necessary for crabs),
Structures,
Driftwood,
Monitors (Temperature, hardness)

Also, should I use tap water or Rain water? Monsoons are coming so rainwater shouldn't be a problem.
And lastly, where's the best place to buy all these from? I live in salt lake, and the only place nearby is Pet Planet, and stuff is expensive there. Is there any good online shops where I can buy flora and fauna from, and get it home delivered?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help someone as stupid as me :) .
neoboyrok

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Orkut Orkut

Re: Begginner aquarist, remove algae from tank.

Postby amitava1969 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:26 pm

You are an enthusiastic young person. Could I suggest manual removal of algae using old credit card and as many partial water changes as you can manage every week and some serious reading in the forum. Take care of your filter media by swirling it in the old water and not tap water (unless you find something which says this is not good for heavy algae scenarios).That way your lone survivor gets a good life and you become a ...... Well.,.. A beginner like me. Lots to learn for you and me, my friend. BTW, algae on your glass will fall to old debit cards as well.
amitava1969
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby amitava1969 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:34 pm

I am guilty of the unpardonable crime of not informing you of the great Galif Street Haat. In my defence, I don't want you to go there, splurge and suffer a tank crash. Follow the forum and read as much as you can before you start.
amitava1969
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby neoboyrok » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Thanks Amitava, for the help. I'm curios to know weather putting some sort of poison in the tank (Without the fish of course) would help getting rid of all the algae from the gravel (which is white, and looks disgusting). I'm looking for a fresh start, but I still want my brave soul to survive.
neoboyrok

Postby amitava1969 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:37 pm

Those "poisons" are too difficult to handle at the early stages of the hobby. Unless you can handle difficult chemicals, don't even think about them. Unless you are a chemistry man. Read, man, Read.

Consider redoing your setup keeping some filter media soaked in old water while this excercise is going on. Keep your loan survivor in a bucket for the few hours you may need, with some of the old water. Step down your lighting to suit your tank size and keep the photoperiod to about 8 hours. Keep fast growing cheap aquatic plants (lots of them) if your lone survivor is compatible with plants. If you can, meet the KAC folks at Galif Street on Sunday mornings. Look up the Galif thread for this. They will guide you in setting up/resetting your tank.
amitava1969
Regular in KAC
Regular in KAC

Postby SanamMarik » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:47 pm

If you have fish in the tank, and it can be kept somewhere else (a bucket may be with air stone in), then take the fish out, keep the tank in complete dark for 7 to 10 days. use scrapper/credit card( as already mentioned by Amitava da)/sim card case/or even a plastic scale to clean the inner glass walls and do a 80% wc. and then keep in dark for another 4days thn a 80% wc. I did this way, got results. If you have patience, you may try too. :)
Sanam Marik
Knowledge has no end and so is my love for it. :)
SanamMarik
KAC Fanatic
KAC Fanatic

Return to General Fishkeeping